IDE for C++

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby jjmac » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:52 am

Howdy minich,

>>
The thing is that I'm going remove windows from my computer at all (clapping;)
>>

Are you lacking space. If your new to Linux, the windows install would still be useful.

If your windows is a ntfs type, shrinking it and creating a small vfat partition will allow you to mount the vfat in Linux to use as a go between between the two. The proprietary aspects of the ntfs prevents Linux from 'safely' writing to it directly.

Check the Linux installer , that is, dummy through it, and see if it has a resizing facility.

>>
i wanna find all programs I need to have
>>

I'd suggest leaving your windows there if you can. As i don't think you will find all of the programs you need straight off. :)

Good Luck.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby SIGSEGV » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:45 am

Hi all!

I've tried about a dozen distro's lately and thus i've had the chance to take a look at both KDevelop and Eclipse. Those are the only ones i knew to be ide's for c++ and i found that they both don't amaze me. Maybee i'm spoiled as i'm used to Borland Delphi6, which i guess one could learn the basics of while sleeping.
I've used kdevelop in the past as well, i think it must have been mandrake10 or something, but i never got the hang of it. The problem with starting kdevelop (i guess) is that after starting a basic kde application project and trying to compile it, it would give me an error during compile. If i remember correctly, the reason wasn't easy to find, but turned out to be that some version of automake wasn't installed, and when trying to install, i think it failed on dependencies.. The last time i tried kdevelop, it did work as expected, but i still couldn't get the hang of it. So i tried Eclipse and after one or two tutorials, still didn't see how to start my own project with multiple windows. I've read some things about designer integration and plugins in this thread, but i'm afraid i'm not seeing them.. Could someone provide me with a few pointers which would thrust my head under the water of the development pool of the linux waters? (preferably eclipse as i'm using SLED10)
(Maybee an idea for the magazine: a couple of eclipse tutorials, one or more among which about the more advanced possebillities (Eclipse plugin development?) for the readers who tend to learn fast if they only know how and where to take the next step)
I'm also wondering if there is a list of development packages, libs and utils for linux. A list which would contain names like O2gre, alsa, STL, SDL, etc and explain what they are for. For instance, i've written a network library for the gameserver that i'm writing, but as the code gets much too big for a single person to handle, and i don't have enough time to work on it with enough concentration, i find that i'm creating usefull things, but probably inventing the wheel. So i guess my question is: Is there such a list and if so, where?
On the linux knowledge base, programming howto's i'm seeing nothing about Ogre, alsa, STL, SDL, etc..
SIGSEGV

Postby SIGSEGV » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:00 pm

Hmm, i just rebooted into SuSE and suddenly remembered that it doesn't offer any developer tools. So i'm downloading Eclipse and i guess i'd better download glade as well. I've decided that i'm going to do another brave new attempt at linux desktop application development. Could anyone provide me with some things i should keep in mind when installing eclipse and glade on SLED10? Any other recommended tools that i should definately install that would make development easier?

-edit: typo corrected and i just discovered that i was wrong sugesting that the SLED10 dvd doesn't have any developer tools. I just installed glade from it.
SIGSEGV

Postby cioannou » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:38 pm

Have you checked Ultimate++? It has and IDE and also a nice GUI Designer and it's also portable (Linux/Windows)

http://upp.sourceforge.net
________
Honda Civic Type R history
________
Honda Deauville
Last edited by cioannou on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
cioannou

Postby SIGSEGV » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:09 pm

cioannou wrote:Have you checked Ultimate++? It has and IDE and also a nice GUI Designer and it's also portable (Linux/Windows)

http://upp.sourceforge.net

Nope.. I didn't know about it, but it sounds good.. There's just a slight problem that it doesn't work though.. :?;)

I've copied the theide executable to /usr/local/bin and that seems to work, but each time i start it, it keeps whining about not beein able to find the upp directory.. I've copied it to ~/upp, /usr/local/share/upp, /usr/local/bin, etc, but it keeps saying that it can't find the dir. Is there anything i've missed from the readme file? Should i perhaps do a make install after having copied the dir? The rights are set to root:root 755 for the /usr/local/bin/upp dir and tim:users 755 for the ~/upp dir..

I'm using SuSE Enterprise Desktop 10, if that is of any importance..
SIGSEGV

Postby cioannou » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:04 am

Don't know why this happens, I use it in windows. Tried it in my gentoo box and happens exactly as you say. I will post a question in the upp forums
________
buy vapolution
________
gm foods
Last edited by cioannou on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
cioannou

Postby Béranger » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:17 am

A small and nice one: http://geany.uvena.de/
Béranger

Postby JPGargoyle » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:34 pm

Hi.

You shoul try Code::Blocks.

It's very good IMHO.

Best regards.
JPGargoyle

Postby SIGSEGV » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:50 pm

cioannou wrote:Don't know why this happens, I use it in windows. Tried it in my gentoo box and happens exactly as you say. I will post a question in the upp forums

It's been about a month now since.. Have u heard anything yet?
0x2b | ~0x2b ?
0xff !
SIGSEGV

Previous

Return to Programming