Net access options

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Net access options

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:30 am

Lo all,

I'm planning to get Internet access at my flat, and looking for recommendations. Currently it looks like I'll have to:

1) Pay to get the phone line activated
2) Pay a line rental fee
3) Pay monthly broadband fee

There seems to be a few bundle options to make this simpler. I don't need fast access nor will I be downloading petabytes of stuff -- just want regular access. Maybe I could get one of those unlimited mobile phone data things and link it to my laptop with Bluetooth.

Am I missing some much simpler solution? Perhaps I can lay some cat5 cable from LXF Towers to my flat...

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Re: Net access options

Postby Steogede » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:10 pm

M-Saunders wrote:Maybe I could get one of those unlimited mobile phone data things and link it to my laptop with Bluetooth.

You mean the Vodafone Mobile Connect things? Upto 1 GB a month unlimited access :roll: . They say that if you use over a 1 GB a month, they will warn you and if you continue you to use more than a GB they will move you to a different package. They don't say which package nor do they say that they will inform they will ask you or even inform you. I can just see it now, the first month you get a bill for £40 and a warning letter telling you that you used 1001GB, second month you use 1001GB and get a bill for £776.

I was offered a free Vodafone mobile connect PCMCIA card when I bought my laptop. I steered clear because it looked like a great way to get a mortgage (that is, you would need one to pay the bill).

M-Saunders wrote:Am I missing some much simpler solution? Perhaps I can lay some cat5 cable from LXF Towers to my flat...

Possible options
  1. Get a couple of big outdoor WiFi antenae
  2. Move into LXF Towers.
  3. Work from home and get Future to pay for the it all.
Steogede
LXF regular

RE: Re: Net access options

Postby Rhakios » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:23 pm

If your area has cable, then you can have that without phone if you want, it would be slightly cheaper. In my area the basic package is £17.99 per month and you aren't stuck with the addition of a BT line rental as you would be if you went for ADSL.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Ram » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:53 am

What did you discide on ?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:21 am

Still looking. One mobile provider was doing a laptop data card type thing, but apparently it blocks all other ports than 80. Not that cheap either, but at least it would save a lot of hassle.

Basically I just want to buy a box that has some internet in it -- six month's worth. But it looks like I'll have to go with the whole line rental business. Grrr.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:33 pm

Keep delaying long enough and those six months will be up and you won't need to bother.

Another problem solved. Next!

:)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Nigel » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:11 pm

You could always try capturing some of the pigeons that plague most town centres these days and try to set up an rfc1149 link to LXF Towers...
Nigel
LXF regular

Re: Net access options

Postby hyweljones » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:03 am

M-Saunders wrote:Am I missing some much simpler solution? Perhaps I can lay some cat5 cable from LXF Towers to my flat...

How far away from LXF towers are you? If I remember right cat5 is only effective up to 300 metres (please correct me if I'm wrong!) before needing a hub/switch/repeater type thingy to prevent signal loss.

Seriously, a friend of mine got a fairly decent deal with orange. Contract mobile phone, home landline and internet connection in one. Can't remember the details but I think it was a pretty good offer.
hyweljones

Return to Off Topic