Glue...Again!

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:40 pm

guy wrote:And I never seem to have a pair of scissors handy.

I usually use a sharp knife, there's always at least one in the kitchen <insert psycho smiley>.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Hudzilla » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:28 pm

'lo everyone,

Yes, we're well aware of the glue problem again. I'm sure you all know that we don't actually stick the discs on ourselves, so it's really not our fault - honest! :)

We have already looked in to the problem, and the answer was the usual vagueness. There are several solutions:

i) Use a knife. Ask your parents first! (yes, that's a joke)
ii) Subscribe. It comes loose. Yes, I like going to buy things from shops too, so this doesn't suit everyone. Mmm... Smiths.....
iii) Leave the disc on. This is a crap solution, I know, but I'm trying to make it look like there are lots of options ;)

Whatever you do, don't say "hmm, this disc is quite well attached - I reckon if I give it a sharp tug it will come off perfectly" - at least if you like the look of the front cover.

There's not much else I can say. "Sorry", I guess, but as I said the actual production is magazines is done by other companies. Look on the bright side: the cover was pretty dull this issue anyway ;)

Paul
Hudzilla
Site admin

Postby kevanf1 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:50 pm

I quite liked the minimalist look of the cover actually........
kevanf1
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:50 am

kevanf1 wrote:I quite liked the minimalist look of the cover actually........

The one with just a masthead and a huge hole? ;-)
nelz
Site admin

Postby jjmac » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:14 pm

lxf 68 ... thats the one with 68bit gentoo i think, there later over this way ....

Have you tried any solvent ?? to soften, possibly isopro. Maybe something warm from the other side.

Same thing happens to cases of beer sometimes. Which can make for quite a struggle in a cold room.

jm
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby jezjones » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:13 pm

Yeah this damn glue.

I have sent a nasty email to the folks at LXF as i thought i had got all the glue from the DVD and the mag only to have my nice new OReilly book torn up and nastied by this glue (simply from being next to it in a bag).

Rather than subscribe i might just look to other linux mags....
The cover discs are great but the mag would standup without them and its not like you cant download it from the internet if you want.

Also i agree with the others on here, i dont subscribe because i also get Linux user and developer and sometimes some of the US mags (if i am over that way).

jez
jezjones

Postby guy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:54 pm

jjmac wrote:Maybe something warm from the other side.

:roll:
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:43 pm

Where's my iron :lol:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:57 pm

is it not in between your driver and putter??? :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:14 pm

No, that's the steering wheel. :P
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby jjmac » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:49 pm

>>
Where's my iron :)
>>

Yes, (grin) ... thats the closest ... possibly a warm cloth (dry) ... stuff like acetate should (of course) be tested first. hmmmm a blow tourch maybe ?

>>
is it not in between your driver and putter??? :D
>>

Curiosly ... i'm not surprised (grin).

>>
I have sent a nasty email to the folks at LXF as
>>

It never works ... and as above ... it's not really lxfs' fault. The packers, or which ever company is actually doing the attaching are the ones that need to be shot. A few cents here/there ... they can be right buggers to get through to, and even worse to work for at times.

The sticky tap works best...

I once saw this newsagent bloke, up at the local main shops over here, with pcplus mag cd's in a draw ... I got a bad disc, so i took the mag back for a disc that worked, and he takes a cd out of a 'free standing' disc in the draw and replaces it with the one for the mag. Putting the bad disc back in a container in thedraw. The ones on the stand were all attached by clear tap ... but he had all these free standing discs. Something funny was going on there somewhere. Do they actually get attached __before__ they get to the newsagent, or is it done at that end point. It would make transportation to the various outlets a lot simpler .. less intransit damage etc.

But ... if its common ... then they must be getting attached beforhand. But then again ... every time you guys mention an outlet, it always seems to be the same name Wm(something). I guess it's not the same shop though ..., is it ? (grin). Assuming there is more than one shop over there ... possibly there being attached at its' HQ. ( that was fun :D )

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:19 pm

jezjones wrote:The cover discs are great but the mag would standup without them and its not like you cant download it from the internet if you want.
jez

Personally, if I was buying from WHS or wherever I would prefer the mags to be a £1 cheaper with no cover disc - because I usually download any programs I want from the Net. That way, you know you're getting the most up-to-date versions. Most of the stuff on the discs doesn't really interest me anyway. I don't have a very large hard drive so I don't want to fill it up with programs I'll probably never use.

However, I took out a subscription to LXF few months ago and am delighted (a) to get the mag a week early; (b) that I don't have the glue problem; (c) with the bargain subscription price.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:04 pm

I would have to say keep the disks. Until I had my broadband Internet they were the only available source of Linux software for me and even now they are a good way of getting the latest distro's, downloading a dvd's worth, even on broadband, takes time and poor me being stuck with a 15gb download limit doesn't help either :?
The disks HAVE to stay! What about all those poor sods stuck on dailup or even worse no Internet connection at all?
I have to admit that with out Linux Format (specifically the cd's) I would never have stuck with Linux during the first year!
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby guy » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:43 pm

Marrea wrote:
jezjones wrote:The cover discs are great but the mag would standup without them and its not like you cant download it from the internet if you want.
jez

Personally, if I was buying from WHS or wherever I would prefer the mags to be a £1 cheaper with no cover disc - because I usually download any programs I want from the Net.

Hoary Hedghog was a five-hour download - broadband - and broke twice. Must have used most of my month's bandwidth that week. Huh! Not an option for poor old dialup.
At least I hadn't got round to burning a CD when suddenly like magic LXF68 appeared.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:25 pm

Sorry, I am rather taking for granted that most of us have broadband these days. Quite take your point about dial-up download speed. The two distros I am currently using, Fedora Core 2 and SuSE 9.2 were bought (FC2 came with a "for Dummies" book) so I have never actually dowloaded a version of Linux yet.

All I was really trying to say is that I buy computer magazines for the magazines themselves rather than being influenced at all by what is on the cover mounted discs - but I am almost certainly in the minority here !

Oh well, back to trying to get Album Shaper installed (not off the disc incidentally but downloaded after reading the Hot Picks review). This qmake thing seems a bit tricky. I think I need to have a look at my paths because SuSE can't seem to find qmake.
Marrea
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs