Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LXF 67: Turkey or Tremendous?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hudzilla
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: LXF 67: Turkey or Tremendous? Reply with quote

Now that LXF67 should have managed to reach all corners of the globe (after all, LXF68 just came on sale here in Blighty!) I feel it's safe to ask you all what you think - what you liked, and what you disliked.

I'll get you started, although I'll be restricting the "I didn't like" section to things I wrote so as not to aggravate the people I sit next to Wink

I liked:
- The cover. This picture is so cool that The Times used it the next day for their supplement. Nice bright colours, and a punchy headline. Of course, lots of people have no clue what Xen is, but the idea is that the vagueness will make them want to read Wink

- The Ready2Surf review. Okay, I wrote it so I'm bound to think it funny, but I like it anyway Smile

- Roundup. Marco obsesses over email clients, and was just the man to flog these contenders until we had a sure winner.

- The LXF Interview. Graham is a real KDE head, and got some great answers from Matthias Ettrich about the future of KDE and Qt. Plus the pictures were nice; Oslo looks like a really nice place to work Wink

- Console vs GUI brought a smile to my face, and not only because of the aggressive posturing from Nick and Rebecca.

- Emacs tutorial. Biagio has a real passion for this topic, second only to his love of compilers - I think that sways a lot of people!

I didn't like:
- I have lingering doubts over whether the Xen feature really managed to explain it to newcomers. It's a hard topic, but we all felt it was worth trying our best rather than just ignoring it.

- I'm equally unsure about the "new style" PHP tutorial. From LXF63 onwards I've been trying to lighten up the PHP tutorial to make it a) more accessible, b) funny in places, and c) varied. The problem with making a magazine is that it's very hard to know whether you're succeeding, so I'm just flat out unsure whether the format is working.

Anyway, over to you... what do all y'all think?

Paul
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: RE: LXF 67: Turkey or Tremendous? Reply with quote

While I agree that the Xen article was heavy going, that didn't prevent me from understanding it; it's always nice to be stretched a bit. The only thing I didn't like about the Xen article was that it didn't provide any starters guide, this is the kind of thing I find most useful. Having said which, now that I understand how it works, it's not something I'm likely to use.
ryptyde

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: RE: LXF 67: Turkey or Tremendous? Reply with quote

Enjoyed Tong,Xen and of course Andy's "dual-layer" DVD burner.The little knob thingy must be how you set the "burn rate". Smile

The Gimp tute also,wish there were more hours in the day to play.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: