Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why the internet is both good and bad

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
martin_proffitt



Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:59 pm
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Why the internet is both good and bad Reply with quote

Why the internet is good :
It gave us Linux.

I've been using Mandrake/Mandriva for around five years and in all that time I must have gone through every form of problem that exists.

Most of the time I run a stable system, but inevitably from time to time something screws up.
All too often, when something goes wrong, we dive for firefox and google. "Someone has been through this before - they'll have posted somewhere about it" - and this is mostly true. However, in this lies a deeper problem. Sheer laziness.

I don't actually have the internet where I live in huddersfield. I can't afford it. When I get stuck on a problem, whether it is with linux itself, or whether it is a problem relating to PHP or C++ the first place I dive is for the documentation. Everything is covered in the documentation and if its not there, its because the answer is a logical one. Only in a few minor instances have I not been able to find the answer without documentation or logic.

The problem I really find about the internet is it takes away our will to learn. We google an answer, try it, it works, we forget what we did because someone else told us how to do it, so when the problem comes around again, we often can't remember how we fixed it so go back to google.

I have gained virtually all of my knowledge about Linux, programming, networking, etc. from trial and error. Most of the time, I find the solution reasonably quickly, in some cases faster than I ever would have googling for the answer. And when you do learn something by trial and error, you are more inclined to remember it. You type the wrong thing in as root, "oops I just lost the mysql data folder", you better remember so you never type that in again.

Now I am not saying "Don't use the internet" - not in the slightest, I just think that we place too much emphasis on the answers it provides and not enough on our own initiative.

There is a lot to be said for the all too often quoted "rtfm". Man and Info are quite definatly your friends! failing that, '/usr/share/doc' is also a good place to look. If its not there, try running the relative program from the command line with the '-h' or '--help' option. That can sometimes help.

I feel that the internet should only really be used when you have exhausted all other means. Yes, it can be frustrating at times, learning without being guided by someone else, but the end results are more than worth the extra effort you put in.
_________________
Do Not Insult The Penguin!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhakios
Moderator


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 am
Posts: 7632
Location: Midlands, UK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Why the internet is both good and bad Reply with quote

So remind me, why is the internet bad?
_________________
Bye, Rhakios
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigjohn
LXF regular


Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:19 pm
Posts: 393
Location: UK - South Coast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Why the internet is both good and bad Reply with quote

Because it gives geeks the idea that they can write as well as a "top notch" author. Wink

whereas, said geeks, know one hell of a lot about how IT stuff works, but diddlysquat about how to string sentences together in a logical, readable/understandable manner (however helpful they may be - you should try asking a question at my LUG).

Living proof, being just about any "howto" at tldp. Nice consistant format, just badly written, lacking coherence, targetting articles etc at people with the same levels of technical knowledge as the author

Shocked Oooooo! now theres heresy. Criticism of something as worthy as tldp!
_________________
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheDoctor
LXF regular


Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:02 pm
Posts: 325

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Why the internet is both good and bad Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
said geeks, know one hell of a lot about how IT stuff works, but diddlysquat about how to string sentences together in a logical, readable/understandable manner


Or where to put commas?

But of course, if you use HTML in your emails, it's possible to send a message across the internet by means of pictures, using no words whatsoever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhakios
Moderator


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 am
Posts: 7632
Location: Midlands, UK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Why the internet is both good and bad Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:

Shocked Oooooo! now theres heresy. Criticism of something as worthy as tldp!


The Cynux author exposed!

Smile
_________________
Bye, Rhakios
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marrea
LXF regular


Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:32 pm
Posts: 1873
Location: Chilterns, West Hertfordshire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why the internet is both good and bad Reply with quote

martin_proffitt wrote:

The problem I really find about the internet is it takes away our will to learn. We google an answer, try it, it works, we forget what we did because someone else told us how to do it, so when the problem comes around again, we often can't remember how we fixed it so go back to google.


Sorry, but I don't agree at all. I have acquired vast amounts of information from the Internet to help me do what I want to do in Linux. I keep detailed notes of everything I do, every change I make, and whether it was successful or not. This way, if I run into the same problem again, I just refer to my notes. I always go to the Internet first. It's not being lazy. I have a limited amount of leisure time to pursue my computing hobby and I want to find out how to do things quickly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheDoctor
LXF regular


Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:02 pm
Posts: 325

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Why the internet is both good and bad Reply with quote

martin_proffitt wrote:
The problem I really find about the internet is it takes away our will to learn. We google an answer, try it, it works, we forget what we did because someone else told us how to do it, so when the problem comes around again, we often can't remember how we fixed it so go back to google.


I think you're referring to the World Wide Web here, rather than the internet in general. Unless, that is, you've found some way of using Google on, say, usenet news groups. This was the point I was trying, frivolously, to make above. But never mind. It doesn't alter the main thrust of your argument.

I don't really see, however, what's wrong with the scenario you're describing. Why should the human mind be filled with trivia? It was, as Einstein pointed out. made for better things.

I think your problem is that you confuse learning with memorising information. These are not the same thing. Learning is something much deeper, and the web (and the internet generally) is an important tool for learning. Not least because it gives people greater access than ever to disposable facts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigjohn
LXF regular


Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:19 pm
Posts: 393
Location: UK - South Coast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Why the internet is both good and bad Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
bigjohn wrote:
said geeks, know one hell of a lot about how IT stuff works, but diddlysquat about how to string sentences together in a logical, readable/understandable manner


Or where to put commas?

But of course, if you use HTML in your emails, it's possible to send a message across the internet by means of pictures, using no words whatsoever.

Ah, but the question/conversation wasn't about the appalling grammar was it! Shocked

Now you just put that pointy hat on, yes, you know, the one with the D on it and go and stand over there, in pedants corner.

You naughty little "Lynne Truss acolyte" you! Twisted Evil Very Happy

Marrea wrote:
Sorry, but I don't agree at all. I have acquired vast amounts of information from the Internet to help me do what I want to do in Linux. I keep detailed notes of everything I do, every change I make, and whether it was successful or not. This way, if I run into the same problem again, I just refer to my notes. I always go to the Internet first. It's not being lazy. I have a limited amount of leisure time to pursue my computing hobby and I want to find out how to do things quickly.

One of the more verbose members of my LUG suggested I do something similar ages ago - though his version of it was to make a small text file which is kept open for reference during "experiments", because it's easily filed if said experiment is successful, or if not, can be read/edited in CLI.

One of those things I mean to keep getting round too.

TheDoctor wrote:
I think your problem is that you confuse learning with memorising information. These are not the same thing. Learning is something much deeper, and the web (and the internet generally) is an important tool for learning. Not least because it gives people greater access than ever to disposable facts.

Sort of agree, but isn't learning really just memorising information that you're not familiar with?

Rhakios wrote:
The Cynux author exposed!

Erm, no. I speak with the wrong accent. I live in "the centre of the known world" i.e. West of Southampton = Ireland/America, North of Gatwick = Scotland, East of Hastings = Denmark, IOW=France. The middle bit = centre of known world Wink

Bath ? Texas isn't it ?

Did you ever hear the one about the banana that walked into a pub and asked for a gin and tonic...................
_________________
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nelz
Site admin


Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:52 pm
Posts: 8464
Location: Warrington, UK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Why the internet is both good and bad Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
I think you're referring to the World Wide Web here, rather than the internet in general. Unless, that is, you've found some way of using Google on, say, usenet news groups.


Like http://groups.google.com?
_________________
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)


Last edited by nelz on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhakios
Moderator


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 am
Posts: 7632
Location: Midlands, UK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Why the internet is both good and bad Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:

Erm, no. I speak with the wrong accent.


I'm afraid my magazine comes in a silent version, so I've not been able to tell the writers accent Wink

Quote:

I live in "the centre of the known world"


Delphi?
_________________
Bye, Rhakios
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Linux Format forums topic RSS feed 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


Copyright 2011 Future Publishing, all rights reserved.


Web hosting by UKFast