Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What bootable distro?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
duke.nottingham

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: What bootable distro? Reply with quote

Hello!

I have got a friend who is using a Toshiba Satellite widescreen laptop - has only had it 18 months. It is a P4 - not sure what speed with 512MB RAM. It runs WinXP Media Centre or something like that.

Problem he has is that it keeps hanging on boot and dropping programs once booted. He has had various "experts" look at this and has had the hard disk replaced. Still has the same problem. I suspect it may be a memory issue but I am a novice so am probably wrong.

I have suggested that he tries using a Linux bootable distro to a) see if it boots ok and b) run some diagnostics. I have used Mepis in the past and recall it having some kind of memory test available.

I have never used any diagnostic programs in Linux before so would appreciate guidance as to this and the best bootable distro for this.

Many thanks.

Gordon
towy71

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: RE: What bootable distro? Reply with quote

http://www.knoppix.org/ is very good and you can run memtest from boot which is excellent, or there is the ultimate boot disk which has lots of diagnostics too http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/ubd.htm

HTH
Dick
skecs

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: RE: What bootable distro? Reply with quote

Don't forget LinuxDefender Live! isn't just for virus scans -
http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/products.php?p_id=40
It has all the normal testing tools as well as read & write to NTFS partitions.
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: