Men to be banned from removing shirts in public in UK?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Men to be banned from removing shirts in public in UK?

Postby donoreo » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:04 pm

I just caught this story http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

I find that interesting since here in Ontario, it is legal for women to go topless in public. There was a court case where a girl was charged for going topless on a really hot day and she won the case in court as the law was considered discriminatory. So rather than try to ban men from removing their shirts, they allow women.

Of course, the ones that do go topless are the ones that should not! There was a good one shown on CBC during the Rolling Stones, AC/DC, etc, concert (google sarstock) in 2003. She was riding a guy's shoulders and was well endowed. The director even went back to her more than once :)
donoreo
LXF regular

RE: Men to be banned from removing shirts in public in UK?

Postby Flea » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:44 pm

He added: "It is only a small minority, one in a hundred people. But these men do look aggressive and occasionally behave aggressively. You would see a big difference in the shopping centre if they were made to put a shirt on."

Eh?!?! So what next? Do we ban skinheads because they make people look aggressive? What about tattoos? Will people with scars on their face be forced to wear masks? stinks of an Orwellian society to me!

It is an unfortunate thing, but those men who like best to bare their stomachs are the ones who have too much stomach.

Same goes for all those obese women walking around in bikini tops. It's ridiculous, has it really got so bad that we will now start banning ugliness? It's about time we stopped believing we are anything other than clever monkeys! I guess that some big hairy topless man reminds some people of their animal nature and they don't like it.

A little message to the people pushing this: GET OVER YOURSELF! YOU ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT!

Jeezus!
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

RE: Men to be banned from removing shirts in public in UK?

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:17 pm

Perhaps they should just ban all the TV programmes that have near-perfect plastic people on them, so that we can get used to everyday ugliness again.

:)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:15 pm

Read the story carefully.

The politician behind the plan is former local government minister Nicholas Bennett, who has canvassed councils across the country for support.

And who is this Nicholas Bennet? He is, according to the article, "now a senior councillor in Bromley's ruling Tory group", having previouslty been "a minister with local government responsibilities under John Major in the 1990s".

Senior councillor? Doesn't he have an official repsonsibility? Chair of some committee of other? Probably not, since the article doesn't mention this. I suspect he's someone that even the Bromley Conservative Party would like to dump on the rubbish heap. "Senior" here probably means "old and past it". I notice they don't quote anyone, even a fellow Conservative, giving him support.

Hardly a story worth repeating in a national ewspaper: "Obscure Tory councillor wants to ban men from baring their chests in public".. Not anything to get excited about, really.

But the source is a giveaway. You don't expect accurate news in the Daily Mail do you?
TheDoctor
LXF regular

Return to Off Topic