Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange windows idea

View previous topic :: View next topic  
candy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Strange windows idea Reply with quote

Hi

I had this strange idea come to me over Christmas and no it wasn't the drink.

It was this: A free release of XP Pro but with FF2 and Thunderbird which also contained OOo and Sunbird.

It would be called Open Sea lion.

It would have the the media player removed as well as the Fax/Jpeg viewer and be managed by a consortium with input by MS for service packs.

The ultimate clean up MS image project when formal support for XP is turned off.

Any thoughts?

A girl in a million
towy71

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Strange windows idea Reply with quote

Keep taking the medicine, the men in white coats are busy on another forum but they will get to you Laughing
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Strange windows idea Reply with quote

It shouldn't (couldn't?) be called "Open" anything as it will be based on proprietary Microsoft code. So even if you did want this up to date version of 98-lite (some of you may recall it), you would still need to fork over the readies to Microsoft for the licenses.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Strange windows idea Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
It shouldn't (couldn't?) be called "Open" anything as it will be based on proprietary Microsoft code. So even if you did want this up to date version of 98-lite (some of you may recall it), you would still need to fork over the readies to Microsoft for the licenses.

I got the impression Candy was thinking M$ would release this, so although it wouldn't be "Open" anything, they would be able to give it away free.

Wow, there's a Gloucestershire Old Spot just flown past the window Shocked
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Strange windows idea Reply with quote

MartyBartfast wrote:

I got the impression Candy was thinking M$ would release this, so although it wouldn't be "Open" anything, they would be able to give it away free.

Wow, there's a Gloucestershire Old Spot just flown past the window Shocked

I believe your second paragraph anyway Wink
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Strange windows idea Reply with quote

Since the white coats haven't reached me on the other forum, yet, I just have to ask "Isn't there already an open source "Windows" project seeking to reverse-engineer Windows much in the way Linux reversed Unix?"

<insert sound of typing into Google>

Ah, yes. ReactOS http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html I'm sure you could design your "Sea Lion" theme to use with it. My Computer would become The Aquarium. The Desktop could feature a Tamagotchi-eque Sea Lion that you have to frequently click on to care for by feeding it "candy".

Then you could go out to the OSSWin Sourceforge project and replace the M$ bloated apps with their open source equivalents.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Strange windows idea Reply with quote

Expecting MS to give anything away is like waiting for Godot.
Windows 3.1 is still copyright, and NOT FREE, despite having been out of use by the majority of the planet for 10 years.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: