Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can u recommend a broadband modem for use with suse 10.1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: can u recommend a broadband modem for use with suse 10.1 Reply with quote

Hi

New to linux, and so far so good. I like the look and feel of suse10.1

However, the my current modem (speedtouch330) will not easily connect to suse10.1, and it has been suggested I buy another modem (possibly a ethernet). My knowledge of what is compatible with suse is non exsistent, so would greatly appreciate it if someone could recommend a modem?

Thanks.

spm
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: RE: can u recommend a broadband modem for use with suse 10.1 Reply with quote

If it connects to your computer via ethernet, then it will work with Linux. It's only usually USB jobbies that cause a problem. But if you still aren't too sure, then just buy one from here.
redpepp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: RE: can u recommend a broadband modem for use with suse 10.1 Reply with quote

I had the same problem with many distro's of Linux. I now use a sppedtouch 510 ethernet thingy which just connects to ur ethernet port.You have to put ur isp details into the box etc but once its in there it stays for good. Just boot up and the operating system will do the rest.. Hope thats of any use.
TonyBradley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: RE: can u recommend a broadband modem for use with suse 10.1 Reply with quote

Getting an ethernet card will solve your problems, and ease the workload on your processor, as USB requires control by the CPU. Very Happy
zarathustra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: RE: can u recommend a broadband modem for use with suse 10.1 Reply with quote

Nod go for a router over ethernet, you may well find a router saves yer bacon on occasions with it's built in filtering etc *something you need not mess with Smile* Oh and you'll never have to worry about darn modem drivers again, which cut several hours of any of my linux installs :/

Regards Zara
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I please chip in on this query? I am in a similar situation to spm. I have a speedtouch 330 and the problems it seem to bring. However my motherboard has an ethernet connection on it. presumably this will preclude the need for a PCI card. Am I right in this, and can I just plug in my cable from my adsl filter?
Or isn't life that simple?? Rolling Eyes
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your adsl filter is coming out of a modem by the house entry point then yes its that simple.

If your phone line comes into the building and is terminated with a little white box (usually) and you have the filter attached there with no modem, then no.

Wall Socket --> adsl filter --> ethernet modem / router --> ethernet card (NIC) --> PC

Ehternet is not a linux thing, or a windows thing, ethernet is a standard protocal developed in the 70's for transferring data over a LAN (local area network). This is why its the best option for running your broadband connection.

What you are doing is creating a mini network between devices to join a bigger network.

EDIT: oops, forgot, yes an internal motherboard based ethernet device should be perfect. I use one on my desktop, and our backup server uses a 5 PCI card.
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you clear my mind please, Nordle?
I have a filter inserted into the GPO outlet on the wall, and into that filter is plugged my 'phone and my adsl cable. Can I plug the other end of my adsl cable straight into the ethernet socket on my motherboard, or do I need another piece of hardware between?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still need a modem, just one that connects to the ethernet port of your computer rather than the USB port.
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, nelz, that is rather what I expected. Is there one which is better suited to Linux SUSE 10 1 than the others? Also is it going to be easier to set up than the Speedtouch 330 that I have been bu**ering about with?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's this one which is a rebadged version of the one I use. I bought one for my Mum too, because she had nothing but grief with the USB rubbish her ISP gave her, it wouldn't even work properly with Windows.
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I want more than one port when I am only going to connect one computer?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Future-proofing - it's always better to have more than you need, not less. There was a 1 port version, but the price difference was minimal.
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it's always better to have more than you need, not less.

Speaking from personal experience (and I am 73 years of age) I have always found this to be true. However the products that I keep getting pushed at me, in spam of various guises, are said not to be effective in this matter. Very Happy
ollie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catgate wrote:
... the products that I keep getting pushed at me, in spam of various guises, are said not to be effective in this matter. Very Happy

Gee, and I was looking forward to those little blue pills in 30 years time! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: