formatting problem?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

formatting problem?

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri May 20, 2005 4:39 pm

i now have 2 hdds and i would like to remove all the linux components from my master hdd to run just windows but would like to keep all the files i have so that i can install linux on my slave hdd i have formatted it in windows using seagate dicswizard so that it is just for extra data.
the trouble is i now have 6 local drives(linux partitions) and i don't know how to get rid of them
any help would be appreicated
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

RE: formatting problem?

Postby fingers99 » Fri May 20, 2005 5:50 pm

The only files really worth keeping are those on your /home directory. So, keep everything as is until you get Linux up and running, then copy those over. Afterwards you can destroy the old linux paritions -- but what you can use will probably depend on what fs you're using for Windows.
fingers99
LXF regular

RE: formatting problem?

Postby davecs » Fri May 20, 2005 9:03 pm

Most live CD distros, definitely PCLinuxOS or Knoppix and probably MEPIS, have a program called QtParted which enables you to add, delete and resize partitions. Even if they're not your distros of choice ...

That said, there is an option in the PCLOS "Install" routine to call up a "mandrake-style" partition manager as well with much the same choices.

QtParted is not totally dissimilar to the Windows/DOS program "Partition Magic".
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Return to Help!