Wireless networking at home

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Wireless networking at home

Postby Wmsheep » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Hi all

Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks I`m going to be able to set my home network, going the route of wireless networking (sadly the Mrs doesnt want me to make a hole in the ceiling or new windows to get the cables upstairs!! :cry: :cry: )

The way I want to set things up is as follows:-
Downstairs - this is where modem is - 1xpc running XP
Upstairs - 2 PC`s - 1 running XP only, 1 running XP + (probably) Gentoo

Could anyone suggest a system that is likely to likely to work "out of the box" with linux please

Ta

Mark
Wmsheep

RE: Wireless networking at home

Postby MartyBartfast » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:44 am

By a "System" I assume you mean a Linux disto? You should be able to use any. I've had Mandriva & Suse running with wireless pretty painlessly and now I use Ubuntu which was a breeze.

If you're asking which wireless router will work then they all should, the thing you will have to check is that the wireless card in the Linux box is supported.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Re: RE: Wireless networking at home

Postby Steogede » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:06 am

Interms of supported wifi cards, most are supported in one way or another these days. However, getting them to work can often be a hassle (other times it is complete pain free). The easiest, most sure fire way to setup wireless under Linux (or any OS), is to buy a wired network card (99.9% work without a hitch) and a wireless bridge.

sadly the Mrs doesnt want me to make a hole in the ceiling or new windows to get the cables upstairs!!

It would only need to be a very small hole, 6mm would do it. Or you could the cable under the floor or along the skirting.

Still wireless is probably the way to go. By the time you've bought a cable (£30 for 1000ft), a cable tacker (£20), insertion tool (£7.50 for a nice one), patch leads and socket boxes it could get expenesive. You could probably make a nice job of wiring it though, if you have standard size phone sockets in most rooms then you could:
  1. follow the same route as the phone lines
  2. remove the existing faceplate plate from the phone socket box
  3. replace the faceplate with a modular one which takes two inserts and put an insert in for the phone and for the network. Probably not easy with the BT master socket, best just to leave that

Not what you asked, but perhaps when you are struggling with wireless, you'll be able to console yourself with the amount of hassle it would have been to do a good job of running cables.
Steogede
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Wireless networking at home

Postby beagle2 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:40 pm

Suppose you could set up the downstairs xp pc as a wireless access point and install wireless cards in all the pcs. Would check out http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/wireless/ for your linux box or user forums to see what cards work easily with whatever linux distro you choose. The card in the xp box must have the ability to act as an access point as well - some older ones don't.
Thats all assuming your modem is wired to the xp box so total outlay would be just 3 wireless cards.
Only problem you may come across as the other guys mentioned is drivers for the wireless card in the linux box - everything else pretty simple no matter what option you choose - wireless modem/router, wireless router connected to your existing modem or whatever.
Elive
XP
cpx-mini
pclinuxos super gamer
beagle2

Postby telboy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:14 am

Have you considered the Devolo system? I found wireless networking via Linux a complete hassle and opted for Devolo which creates a lan network via your power lines. ie the adaptors connections are from the modem/router to an electrical socket and from electrical sockets to your computers in any room.
Absolutely no problems either with Windows or Linux
Didn't cost a lot more than several wireless adaptors.
telboy

Postby nordle » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:06 am

Wmsheep, I had to have a way of positioning the PC's wireless points exactly to get best signal, and wanted 100% OS compatability, so chose ethernet all the way over wireless.
eg

Wall phone socket --> adsl filter --> wireless modem router --> wireless bridge --> PC's NIC

The wireless bridge is attached to the PC's NIC via cat5e cable, which allows me to position the wireless bridge anywhere 4mtrs away from the PC. Yes there is some cable, but the crucial point is its at the end which requires NO drilling! :)

Between the modem/router and the PC is space containing 1 outer wall and 2 inner walls, not the kind of thing I wanted to be drilling through! Hence the wireless approach. But using a bridge at the PC end means it opperates on ethernet, no need for drivers / software other than the standard network card in the PC. Which is why the same approach is used for Windows and Linux based PC's.

Only downer is cost, bridges were £45 + cat5 cable + nic for each PC. (not strictly true as 3 PC's share 1 bridge via a 10/100 switch).
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby super_tux » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:22 pm

It would only need to be a very small hole, 6mm would do it. Or you could the cable under the floor or along the skirting

Orrrr, you could route the cable from the room upstairs round the door frame onto the landing and up to the ceiling, then track it round to the stair case and secure it down the wall and skirting down the stairs and on to a corner of the room where you then trace it up to the ceiling again and follow round to the doorway of the designated room for the server, of course keeping it close to the beeding of the door frame and then down to the skirting again and round the room to connect victoriously with the NIC.. or show the Mrs a very small 6mm drill bit.. which would she prefer??

Then I'm sure that even having to spend 3 hours figuring out issues with getting wireless NICs to work is quicker than doing the above :mrgreen:
Cheerio, Super_Tux
super_tux
LXF regular

Return to Hardware