15%
Something else
15%

Total votes : 33

Postby systemx » Sat May 21, 2005 3:34 pm

X f c e
systemx

Postby linuxgirlie » Sat May 21, 2005 3:43 pm

Chose KDE...I find it more friendly than Gnome....though I must admit Gnome has to the windows converts ready for example the fact that home contains the cdrom drive etc etc and I have used ICEWM when my kde system has fecked up.

So I would never have a single gui system for those just in case situations......

:)
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby ryptyde » Sun May 22, 2005 8:45 pm

Gnome seems to be the one that I keep returning to on my FC3 box.Will ocassionally use KDE,Hackedbox and Xfce.

There was a good write-up in LXF56 Fedora Core 2 "Grokking the Desktop" and "spatial navigation".

If you don't like the way Gnome behaves go to the configuration editor >apps>nautilus>preferences and place a "tick" in the "always_use_browser" box.

I tried it-I liked it.

:)
ryptyde

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sun May 22, 2005 9:24 pm

kde but i'm new and thats all i've used as i thought gnome was a bit sparse
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby jjmac » Mon May 23, 2005 11:33 am

>>
explain:

Boromir: I've just discovered this fantastic new Golden Ring. It can do everything the other Golden Rings can do, except it doesn't call down wraithes as soon as you shove it on a digit.
Farimir: Great, can I put it on my finger?
Boromir: No, you must wear it on your epiglotis.
Farimir: Why?
Boromir: It's just a better way of doing it.
>>

But a person could choke on that explaination, if they weren't careful. :)

>
Bizarrely I *do* only have two toes.
>>

No, i don't think so ... there must at least be three there somewhere (grin)

>>
Anyway, I think the idea that a desktop is a little familiar to what 95 per cent of the computing world have experienced is a good thing.
>>

I think thats not formated the way you possibly ment to, as it seems to be a little obscure in meaning ... but, yes, people do expect a desktop of course, but as far as 95% goes ... That would be windows, wouldn't it :wink:

The point i'm making though is ... that a lot of people will make choices based on whats presented rather than on whats available. It's like, if a particular OS comes pre-installed on a box, so to speak ... well, it will also tend to become very popular as well. After all, thats how rulers of single party democracies get themselves re-elected all the time.

jm

Code: Select all

-:-  If the system is the answer, then the question
                           must have been really stupid               -:-
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby andychannelle » Mon May 23, 2005 12:00 pm

>> Bizarrely I *do* only have two toes.

>>> No, i don't think so ... there must at least be three there somewhere (grin)

No, just two.

Anyway, I think the idea that a desktop is a little familiar to what 95 per cent of the computing world have experienced is a good thing.
>>

Two ways of saying the same thing collided. It should say: Anyway, I think the idea that a desktop familiar to what 95 per cent of the computing world have experienced is a good thing.
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Mon May 23, 2005 7:12 pm

I thought this would be a lot closer, I mean, you only have to read the reviews to know that Gnome is allegedly a lot better!

I think that KDE appeals more to the non-purist, the average person who may take up Linux.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby Andy » Mon May 23, 2005 7:34 pm

OK - I'll throw my hat into the ring...

I like Gnome - in fact, I'm the guy who reviews Gnome for LXF.

Why do I like it? Well, for one it treats me like a grown up. With all the accusations that XP is very plasticky, I personally think that KDE is even worse.

Having played with Kubuntu during the course of the upcoming Ubuntu review, this was hammered home repeatedly. Comparing the two together - KDE just seemd extremely childlike in it's appearance. Yes I know that you can customise look and feel to a certain extent, but first impressions are important.

Gnome on the other hand has a simple approach - similar to Andy's earlier comments about making it 'Simple Stupid'. I'll not disagree with this, as Gnome could only be described (on initial viewing) as being pretty minimalist.

Gnome now makes a big thing about making remote drives accessible through the Places menu - it's handy to be able to quickly click through to where I want to go. Also the preferences and system settings are sensibly organised under the Desktop menu.

One thing that really bugs me about KDE - the incessant need for choice. Everywhere I look I see a packed menu, divided into submenus. Whilst I'm all for choice, I think you can take it waaaay too far and this is the case with KDE. Surely it is easier for the new user to have one or two things to choose from rather than the hundreds selectable under KDE?

As I mentioned in my review of 2.10, one of the exciting things about Gnome is the continued emphasis on the configuration tools within Gnome itself, such as the Network tool. There are going to be a few more added in time for Gnome 2.12 and I'm looking forward to getting to know them a bit better.
Andy

Postby gcclinux » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:34 am

I just love what Sun has done with the JDS/Gnome desktop. I use to use KDE but I much prefer Gnome now days also as the menu structure and operations are much more simply than KDE, in my opinion KDE is just trying to copy Windows.

Ricardo
gcclinux

Postby witt0191 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:08 pm

Well i use KDE most of the time i just like the way it works, it seames to be the way i work but, as born out in some of the other posts i do tend to head to gnome for setups and horror of horrors if i either GUI as root
witt0191

Postby jer1ch0 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:56 pm

Since I've started using Ubuntu, i've come to prefer Gnome. It allows me to get productive straight away, and I love that it doesn't try to emulate the Windows look 'n feel.
With KDE, I usually spend a good hour or two uninstalling unneeded apps.
For some reason I don't get an option to vote in the poll.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Postby MachuMan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:41 pm

I absolutely agree with Andy, first impressions are important.
The first time i tried linux was through a knoppix live cd, and was completely put off by the initial look of kde.
It looked to me like a cheap looking windows clone, everything was in the same place as with xp, the thing i hated the most was all the k's kmail, etc... it felt just like the way everything is microsoft in windows, and quite frankly i was very dissapointed as i was expecting something alot different.

Fortunately after a few weeks in the windows wilderness i discovered that there was an alternative in the form of Gnome, which turned out to be everything i had hoped for.

I am now a happy mandrake user and have been windows free for over a year now
Whats ' a machu' with you?
-------------------
Slackware, sexy linux
MachuMan

Postby davecs » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:53 pm

I'm a KDE fan, but to be honest, the look of KDE and Gnome both depend on how they are set up. Mandrake designs a "style" so they both look alike. The Opening Screen in Knoppix says a lot about Knoppix, but little about KDE. You could look at the opening screen in PCLinuxOS and get a different impression of KDE, because said distro has its own volunteer graphic designer.

My reason for preferring KDE is because I have always found it to be simpler to make adjustments I want to make to all aspects of it.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby MachuMan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:38 pm

I agree that the distro influences the looks, and that both are customisable. The main thing that puts me off about KDE is all the programs that come with it. You seem to spend far longer deleting programs you dont use than actually installing it in the first place, also k this k that gets up my nose. I believe in the saying 'jack of all trades master of none' and for me KDE just has its fingers in too many pies.

(sorry for the crappy sayings)
Whats ' a machu' with you?
-------------------
Slackware, sexy linux
MachuMan

Postby Flea » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:05 am

Can I change my vote? I had said KDE, but I've been using Gnome for a few months now, once you get over the minimalistic look its actually pretty cool! I don't think I will go back now :D
Flea
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion