Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'How to' needed for setting up a mail server under Mepis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: 'How to' needed for setting up a mail server under Mepis Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a mail server using Mepis but I am struggling with it. I had brief sucess with 9.1/2 SuSE but I've changed to Mepis due to USB2 issues.

My set up needs.

Poll my ISP for new mail ( fetchmail to down load to my server where it will stay unless deleted)
IMAP to route the mail ((to be read via Outook / Thunderbird or Webmail) in SUSE this was done with Cyrus )

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

FIA
Ram.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

try sme server
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

My home server does this using fetchmail -> postfix -> procmail -> dovecot. I would reccomend this setup for small amounts of users.

At work we use exim (MX) -> exim (MDA) -> procmail -> 2xdovecot servers in round robin cluster. This is perfect for the 6000 mail accounts we have there, in fact it has the capacity to deal with 100 times its average mail input as was tested when someones exchange server cacked up. Not bad when this setup uses just 3x1GHz ViA EPIAs (MX servers run off the dovecot servers).
I'm a big fan of dovecot. Partly because it is so easy/fast/secure and about the only IMAP server that works using NFS/LVS clustering, and partly because I help develop it.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Do you have a howto ?

Ram.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

this site gives a lot of directions for installing Debian and then setting up as a mail server: http://www.projektfarm.com/en/support/debian_setup/index.html
he goes through chapter and verse in extended detail, I don't know how helpful it will be but it uses all the tools that should be available to Mepis.
HTH
Dick
On further thought and googling around I found this address which is a little briefer but does the same sort of thing: http://www.nryonline.co.uk/documents/html/PostfixEmail.htm
He does point out that he was installing on Red Hat 9 but all the tools should be available...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: