Beginning GIMP - From Novice to Professional

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Beginning GIMP - From Novice to Professional

Postby spottedcat » Thu May 18, 2006 3:43 pm

Not strictly software, but a book about software that I thought forum members might like to know about. This:
arrived in the post this morning. Actually it arrived yesterday when I was in the bath and the postman left it under a bush in the front garden. Only discovered it today. You can get it from Amazon.

I ordered it when I discovered it by chance on the Amazon website. It seems to be the first new book on the GIMP for some years, and a quick look inside suggests it's very good - many good quality colour illustrations and clear text. I paid over £30 for it, but there's now a whopping discount and you can get it for less. :evil: :evil: :evil:
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: Beginning GIMP - From Novice to Professional

Postby Rhakios » Fri May 19, 2006 7:11 pm

spottedcat wrote:postman left it under a bush in the front garden. Only discovered it today. You can get it from Amazon.

I didn't know Amazon had started selling bushes, what sort is it? Variegated foliage or just one colour? :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Fri May 19, 2006 7:20 pm

pedantry, pedantry :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Rhakios » Fri May 19, 2006 7:40 pm

Ambiguity, ambiguity actually. Now that's pedantry! :P
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Beginning GIMP - From Novice to Professional

Postby spottedcat » Fri May 19, 2006 7:51 pm

Rhakios wrote:I didn't know Amazon had started selling bushes, what sort is it?

It's Lonicera fragrantissima only it's not fragrant at all. Bloody swindle. :( I want my money back. Trouble is, I've thrown the Amazon packaging away now.....
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Beginning GIMP - From Novice to Professional

Postby Rhakios » Sat May 20, 2006 3:14 pm

Wouldn't the -issima suffix be a diminutive, suggesting it is only a little fragrant ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby spottedcat » Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Right! (Rolls sleeves up.) I happen to have about the house (as one does) a book entitled 'LATIN, Better Read than Dead - Essential Latin for Beginners and Refreshers.'

The Superlative Form
An adjective ending -issimus, -errimus or -illimus is the superlative form: gratissimus (very/most pleasing); tristissimus (saddest).....

issima being, of course, the feminine form.

I can't find a reference to the diminutive ending in this book but dim and distant memory tells me the ending for 'least....' is -inimus/a. But this is from a man who has the rare distinction of having failed O-level (giving my age away there) Latin twice. :D

So. Is there a classical scholar in the house? :wink:
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat May 20, 2006 4:12 pm

Oh well, if you actually know Latin... you were only allowed to do Latin at my school if you were seriously intending to be a solicitor or a doctor. Suffixes involving lots of esses always look pissy and diminutive to me.

Edit: I'm probably thinking of Italian - piano and pianissimo, presto and prestissimo and so on. Which only goes to show, I've been misunderstanding music notations for years :D
Last edited by Rhakios on Sat May 20, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Re: RE: Beginning GIMP - From Novice to Professional

Postby spottedcat » Sat May 20, 2006 4:15 pm

spottedcat wrote:the rare distinction of having failed O-level Latin twice.

Rhakios wrote:Oh well, if you actually know Latin...

Not really. :D
spottedcat
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Beginning GIMP - From Novice to Professional

Postby spottedcat » Sat May 20, 2006 4:26 pm

Rhakios wrote:Edit: I'm probably thinking of Italian - piano and pianissimo, presto and prestissimo and so on. Which only goes to show, I've been misunderstanding music notations for years :D

I see. When the music says pianissimo, do you play very softly or very loudly? :)

piano = 'soft/quiet'

pianissimo = 'most softly'

:wink:

(We've rather strayed from image editing, haven't we? :))
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Beginning GIMP - From Novice to Professi

Postby Rhakios » Sat May 20, 2006 7:52 pm

Oh is that what it's all about. Is the book any good spottedcat, or have you not had enough time to read any of it yet?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Beginning GIMP - From Novice to Professi

Postby spottedcat » Sat May 20, 2006 8:46 pm

Rhakios wrote:Oh is that what it's all about.

:D

I'm near the end of the second chapter. Yes, it is very good - so far. It starts with a guided tour around GIMP, which you certainly need. I find the GIMP quite daunting at first. And then it's straight onto working with photos. It's very comprehensive. Clearly laid out and excellent colour illustrations.

What's a bit odd is that it's 'based on the latest GIMP 2.4 release' which hasn't been released yet. :? But a lot of the screenshots are clearly from 2.4 which is very tantalising as it's obviously going to be quite a bit better. Nevertheless, she explains in the text what you will find in 2.2.

I'm glad I bought it - overnight sojourn under a bush notwithstanding. Er - that's the book I'm referring to, before you make some wisecrack about my sleeping habits. :) :wink:
spottedcat
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Beginning GIMP - From Novice to Prof

Postby Marrea » Sat May 20, 2006 10:09 pm

spottedcat wrote:I'm near the end of the second chapter.

spottedcat

What are you doing sitting around reading books when you have a computer in bits to attend to? :lol:

(I've been messing around with Vector Linux this afternoon and although I had a few problems setting it up (Lilo wouldn't install, there was something wrong with my xorg.conf file, couldn't "startx" - all the usual little things that are sent to try us), I have now got it running quite nicely and am pretty impressed so far.)
Marrea
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Beginning GIMP - From Novice to Prof

Postby spottedcat » Sat May 20, 2006 10:43 pm

Marrea wrote:
spottedcat wrote:I'm near the end of the second chapter.

spottedcat

What are you doing sitting around reading books when you have a computer in bits to attend to? :lol:

The new m'board doesn't arrive until Monday (courier service allowing), so all I can do until then is stare at the bits (or check under sundry bushes). Got a bit bored, you see. :)
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Beginning GIMP - From Novice to

Postby shifty_ben » Sat May 20, 2006 11:22 pm

A true geek would be trying to fit the old MB into a toaster or for a real challenge a kettle ;) mind you when waiting for parts i have a tendancy to use a soldering iron to remove all the parts from the old item, not that I ever use any of the chips I seem to have built up, but Hard drive motors can be quite useful
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Next

Return to Announcements