'top' usage

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

'top' usage

Postby kevanf1 » Mon May 16, 2005 5:32 pm

Anyody know the usage (syntax etc) for 'top'? I assume it is a command line topic? The reason I meed to use it is because I tried out Mandriva (from the cover DVD) and it is like wading through toffee....that's set. I think something is hoggin memory. I had the same with Mandrake 10.1 bit MDK 10 was fine. It's an old PC running a 500mhz AMD K6-2 with 256 mb of RAM but it should run better than this.
kevanf1
LXF regular

RE:

Postby Rhakios » Mon May 16, 2005 6:28 pm

top is best for judging what's using your processor, rather than memory. ps aux will also show you % memory used, usually the fourth column along. The main difference is that ps aux will show a snapshot of all the processes, while top shows a dynamic view of the top processes uisng system resources, usually sorted by processor usage.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE:

Postby sirrondach » Mon May 16, 2005 8:59 pm

If you want to run "top", just open a terminal window and type top <CR>

It will show the running processes, usually sorted by CPU usage by default I think.
Type k and the process Id no. to kill a particular process (careful!). Type q to quit.
More info available from "man top" or "top --help" I think.
sirrondach

RE:

Postby kevanf1 » Tue May 17, 2005 8:41 am

Cheers guys. I'll fire up the MDK tin and go have a bath while it loads...yes, it's that bad. I've no doubt it is down to one of the processes but which one?????

Thank you.

Kevan
kevanf1
LXF regular

Return to Help!