Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How 2 setup Speedtouch 330 ASDL USB Modem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoneruk

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: How 2 setup Speedtouch 330 ASDL USB Modem Reply with quote

I am new 2 Linux and I have just installed Mandriva Linux 2005 LE of the mag but I dont know How 2 setup my Speedtouch 330 ASDL USB Modem.

any Help would be great thanks
towy71

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: RE: How 2 setup Speedtouch 330 ASDL USB Modem Reply with quote

http://tinyurl.com/7lsks

google is your friend

Dick
stoneruk

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ill chek it out
sulligogs

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Xandros 3.01 OC - using speedtouchconf.sh from speedtouchconf.sourceforge.net - this only gets an initial connection - after reboot the connection is lost - tried messing with every setting in speedtouch.conf (USB, UHCI_HCD etc etc etc) - nothing! However, with Samba it was absolutely solid working with my Windowd ICS machine - didn't even have to tell it where to find the ICS!

In Yoper 2.1.0-4 it is even worse - the speedtouchconf.sh just brings a bottomless pit of errors - for a start the N_HDLC module isn't available and that blows things away anyway. I am a newbie to Linux but trying to patch Yoper with the N_HDLC.C.DIFF file gave a long wait before I CTRL+C - perhaps not being in /usr/src/linux was the problem? Guess what - it doesn't even exist! So Yoper a massive thumbs down

Lastly, I went onto Mandriva Linux LE 2005 - after installation as root I finally find the KDE Control Center and after giving umpteen versions of the blasted MGMT.O file - absolutely nothing! On reboot I get one failed message about the PPP0 device something about "connect(0.56)"...

Tell you what - a few years ago I was liking Linux because it WAS different and it was an alternative. I went back to Windows for some reason or other but I remember thinking how great it could be in a few years time - well - even if you can play games, watch tv blah blah blah under Linux - forget about surfing the web and throwing away your Windows ICS machine

I don't want a router. I want to see Linux run smoothly with a Speedtouch 330 USB modem. If it can't do that then sod it - back to Windows for the next few years....
towy71

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://speedtouchconf.sourceforge.net/
sulligogs

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it!

I booted up the PC today after a fresh install last night and ran speedtouch beta 2 16-may-2005 and it installed and rebooted with no fuss at all! Though I did delete some PAP/CHAP files and a prior mgmt.o files from a desperate last bid attempt.

Effin' brilliant

Cheers, Stephen Parker! Your script is technically and totally cool and you seem like a geezer. Anytime you want a pint from me mate I'll be happy to oblige.

Chris
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: