drivers for Linksys WMP54 G wireless NIC ????????? HeLp

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

drivers for Linksys WMP54 G wireless NIC ????????? HeLp

Postby K4EEZ » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:56 am

hello all

I am a Amateur radio operator and love computers best thing sence sliced bread... lol Anyhow...

I am a nuebe to linux, i did in the passed own a Amiga 1200 with workbench 4 or 5, cant remember been to long...

anyhow installed LinuX UBUNTU on on the cd rom they sent to me ((thank you))) and installed it to one of the hdd's i have on the pc and all went well apart from one big thing

I have a Linksys WMP54 G wireless Nic, I emailed linksys and got a reply that they do not at this time have any drivers for the wire less card for LinuX. :shock:

what can i do, no net access, no drivers??? no updates etc etc bebouse of no network card, is there a driver somewhere out here for the WMP54 G
Pci card??

Please help!!! :roll:

tnx
Mark...

ps here is my direct email kg4ohh AT hotmail.com
replace the AT with @ no spaces
tnx
K4EEZ

RE: drivers for Linksys WMP54 G wireless NIC ????????? HeLp

Postby towy71 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:20 am

I googled and found this link at the top of the page, now it wasn't that hard why couldn't you do that? ;-) It would just be common courtesy to try a little bit to help yourself, if you know what I mean ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: RE: drivers for Linksys WMP54 G wireless NIC ????????? H

Postby K4EEZ » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:00 am

hi towy71

first of all Thank you for the link to the driverloader link

second, i did state that i am New to Linux, i did do a google serach but it came up with a number > then 1000 serachers...
anyhow tnx for the help...

on that note...

now i just got to figger out what the hell i am sopose to download to get the card to werk with linux and how to configer it

all that tech stuff i have no idea what that is all about, looks like some sort of line code to me but then againg i dont know anything about linux, i think that means NEWBIE as in new to linux, just wanted to step out side of MS and try something different

anyhow maybe you could help, do i just download the driver loader for the wmp54-g by MS-Exployer on the pc and then copy ther file to the linux hdd ?

i mean, if i cant get the wire less card to work on linux how the hell am i supose to get the file on to linux format without a NIC?

tnx for any advice O.M

mark.
thank you
Mark
K4eeZ
K4EEZ

RE: Re: RE: drivers for Linksys WMP54 G wireless NIC ???????

Postby towy71 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:48 am

Sorry was in pompous git mode and just threw you a lifeline, didn't notice that the other end wasn't attached :oops:

OK what you need is ndiswrapper and there are detailed instructions here, it ain't going to be easy but your sense of achievement will make you feel that you're walking on air ;-)

What other help I could give would be purely academic as I don't have the hardware, so would not know whether it works or not ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby beagle2 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:20 pm

Take a look here as well, lots of info and if your lucky your card may already be supported in Ubuntu (version4 is) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport ... tworkCards without the need for ndiswrapper
Elive
XP
cpx-mini
pclinuxos super gamer
beagle2

Re: RE: drivers for Linksys WMP54 G wireless NIC ????????? H

Postby K4EEZ » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:59 am

hi
tnx for holding on to that life line O.M, LOL :)

ok u did not state if i was supose to download the file with in MS_Xp or not
:arrow: In other words do i simply log on to windoze XP and goto the linux downloader page and grab the file for my NIC in MS windoze then, reboot the pc in to linux and try and find the file, will linux read the file that i just downloaded (in windoze) under linux ENV.????????

tnx all

K4EEZ
thank you
Mark
K4eeZ
K4EEZ

Postby beagle2 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:09 am

This has a section on how to do it if you dont have internet access on the machine you want to wire up - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver ... apperHowto if you really need ndiswrapper.
Elive
XP
cpx-mini
pclinuxos super gamer
beagle2

Postby K4EEZ » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:07 pm

my head is starting 2 hurt... :?:
thank you
Mark
K4eeZ
K4EEZ

Postby beagle2 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:55 pm

Appologies in advance if you already know this but IF your card has been recognised by ubuntu at install, heres how to configure your connection - 1. System->Administration->Networking
2. Select the Connections tab. Select the wireless connection interface from the list (wlan0 or ra0), then click the Properties button. Ensure that the "This device is configured" is checked. From the Configuration drop-list select DHCP/Static IP address, then click OK.
3. Select the DNS tab add or delete DNS Servers in the DNS Servers list.
To activate it select Network settings+Connections Tab+Wireless connection Activate/Deactivate
Elive
XP
cpx-mini
pclinuxos super gamer
beagle2

Postby spottedcat » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:59 pm

K4EEZ, it might be worth your while doing a forum search (if you haven't already done so) for "wireless" or "wireless card" or whatever. You may not find any information directly relevant to your problem, but you'll find out a lot about the many issues surrounding wireless in Linux and why it can be a particular problem. It saves people having to tell you things that have been said many times before.

But one piece of advice I will repeat is as follows. You cannot necessarily tell from the make and model which chipset your wireless card contains. Manufacturers use different ones at different times even with the same numbered model, and you might need to know which chipset you have. To find this out, open a terminal and type the command lspci. (You'll probably have to type "sudo lspci" - without the quotes. And that's a lower-case L, not a 1.) I wrongly stated on another thread to look for the line with the word wireless in it. I've just run lspci in my SuSE setup, and in the output I get the line: "00:0a.0 Network controller: RaLink Ralink RT2500 802.11 Cardbus Reference Card (rev 01)". That's my wireless card and the important bit - not the fact that it's a Belkin PCI card. If you can't work out which is the relevant line, post it back here and someone will tell you.

Best of luck!
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby K4EEZ » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:19 am

Hello group,

many thanx for all the replys

after i have reinstalled the UBUNTU o/s i opened up the consul and typed in the following
IsPci -v

it came up with a bunch of stuff
but i found the text that said the following:

User#> IsPcI -v

0000:00:09.0 Network controler: Broradcom Corp : Unknow device 4318 (Rev2)
Subsystem: Linksys: unknown Device 0042
Flags: bus master, fast Devsel, Latency 32, Irq 11
Memory at: Ea 000000 (32 bit, none pretetchable [size=8k]

whats that mean?

like i siad there was a whole bunch of stuff in that list but that was all about the linksys as per above

my question i have is this

I can only access the internet or network on Windows XP, IF i was to get a driver loader and save it under the WINDOWS XP env. can i then boot to linux and Browse to the install file and can i locate the driver loader and install the driver loader under the linux Env ? ? ? ? ?

also i have 2 hdd's on my pc, one is a 40gb the other is an 80 gb drive, the 80gb runs both o/s (win and linux, is there a way, when linux is booted for linux to beable to look at the windows part and read files under the linux Env??

Remember i dont know nothing about linux... i just jumped in the deep end and followed everybody elce swimming in the water...

thank you for any replys in advance
Trip.
thank you
Mark
K4eeZ
K4EEZ

Postby beagle2 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:24 am

Next step is to do lspci -n then look for the line which includes 0000:00:09.0 which will tell you the PCI ID of the form '104c:8400'. Post that info and we can tell what chipset you have.
Elive
XP
cpx-mini
pclinuxos super gamer
beagle2

Postby spottedcat » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:28 am

OK matey, you've actually got some useful information there. The output from lspci has told you that you've got a wireless card with a Broadcomm chipset. The fact that it's made by Linksys doesn't matter at all. It could have been made by Marks and Spencers for all the Linux kernel cares. (BTW, lspci -v merely gives you a more verbose output than lspci - perhaps I should have suggested that. Try 'info lspci' in a terminal and read what is says about the -vv and -vvv flags. :wink: In fact, read the lot.)

But now the bad news. From what I've read, the Broadcomm chipset is the least well supported in Linux. Apparently, you have to use ndiswrapper, and you've already complained that this has given you a headache. Believe me, I know what you mean. :)

OK. Some thoughts. This linktakes you to the Ubuntu wiki. Put 'wireless' in the search box and read what you can. Have you searched this forum yet? I remember several similar threads. Are you using a desktop PC or a laptop? You must be using a wireless router so can you connect your Ubuntu system to it with am ethernet cable to do a system update? If you have a desktop, would you consider buying a different wireless card (better supported) just so that you can get yourself working wirelessly? Above all, don't be discouraged. You've just been unlucky that you've got a bad choice of wireless card.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby K4EEZ » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:54 pm

hi
so i guess that linux can not read the windows part. on the hdd? and vice ver.?
so if i was to DL the driver under the windows Xp, and reboot to linux, linux wont look ate the file i just downloaded?

yes i have a desktop and i built it up, pc as follows:

Case Exstream 1/2 size tower with 4 bay drive hub

mother board= PT800CE-A
CPU= 2.45ghz intel chip set
Gfx=3d 128mb ATI Visionteck X2c 9200
Sound= on board 3d suround sound Via chip set

hdd 40 and 80Gb Eide maxtor
1 dvd player, one cd/r ide (Sony)

psu = 250watt
5 fans @ 12v

have i got this right?
tnx
thank you
Mark
K4eeZ
K4EEZ

Postby spottedcat » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:17 pm

Errm - not quite following you. If you mean the Linksys/Broadcomm wireless NIC driver, and you're using that in Windows, you've already got it somewhere in Windows (and in the CD that came with the card). The difficult bit is setting it up in ndiswrapper. As far as the two OSs reading each other's partitions, Windows doesn't have a clue about Linux filesystems - can't read or write them. Linux can read NTFS partitions (but it may not be enabled ootb in Ubuntu - can't remember *), but writing to NTFS from Linux is not recommended - it's experimental. But with fat32 partitions - no problem. Linux can read and write fat32. But you've got XP, almost certainly your Windows partition is ntfs.

But I'm not sure why you're asking this.

* afterthought. In Ubuntu, go into Computer/filesystem or whatever. You should see the folders in root. If you've got a folder-directory called /Win or /Windows or mnt/Win or /mnt/Windows or mnt/bloodyhellwhatsthisrubbish (or some variation thereof) then Ubuntu has automounted your NTFS partiition, and you can read from it.

Edit: Sorry - just read your post before last, and now I can see why you're asking about reading partitions Ignore earlier comment. I hope the above helps.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Next

Return to Hardware