Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Linux
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan4100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: New to Linux Reply with quote

This posting is not right here; no programming questions. I just want to know about using your linux operating system for programming. I suppose by opening an account with your website. Is this possible? I dont really want to buy a pc with Linux. Instead I prefer to use yours since I am in beginner's stage. Also wonder if you have others like FreeBSD, Redhat, it does not matter. They are the same UNIX family.

Since I know little about programming, but would like to give it a try.

Let me know and the cost per month or year. I might be interested.

Alan
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: RE: New to Linux Reply with quote

Errr, I think you've got the wrong idea. These forums are for the Linux Format magazine, it's not a Linux hosting company.
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: RE: New to Linux Reply with quote

Er - or possibly this is yet another troll?
Hello
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would we have trolls asking that?
alan4100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question, please.

If you do programming for the magazine, do you use Linux at the servers or your personal home pc? It sounds the later. You sound doing programming for your magazine on your home computers.

It looks like buying a computer i.e apple with Linux installed would be lots better for me.
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to test a distro out I'd recommend a VM if you've got a reasonably powerful machine with XP on it.
alan4100

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my pc has XP Windows Professional
It seems that distro can be installed on top of the operating system to make it as virtual Linux.

I still want my machine to run as Windows XP and still can switch to Linux.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Er - or possibly this is yet another troll?

Nearly every time I have been on the forums this week you have said that at least once somewhere Very Happy

As JJ said, your best bet is to buy a box, Linux will run happily on older boxes (Although some Distros like SUSE won't) Programming on Linux is not all that different to programming on Windows (Depending on what language you are using of course) but the basic concepts of a language like C (i.e. Arrays, pointers etc) remain the same whether you are writing for Windows, Linux, Mac or a washing machine Wink
I use Linux on my server as well as all my home PCs, in fact I can't think of the last time I had a computer with Windows installed on it.

You may find it hard to find a PC with Linux preinstalled at the moment. Thats not to say they don't exist, they are just far and in-between. Largely to do with MS' OEM contracts Sad Having said that its not a bad thing, because whether using a Distro with a Graphical installer (SuSe, Mandriva, Fedora and many others) or doing it from scratch (Gentoo Very Happy ) you learn more about the system you are installing.

Incidentally if you are interested in programming and want to use Linux for it. Then you could as previously suggested use a VM on XP or install Cygwin and that will give you a Linux like environment. Co-operative Linux is also very good, and will let you run Linux on Windows. Nothing quite beats a Windows free box though Very Happy
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

my pc has XP Windows Professional
It seems that distro can be installed on top of the operating system to make it as virtual Linux.

I still want my machine to run as Windows XP and still can switch to Linux.

Guess you were typing as I was Smile If by that you mean you want to be able to exit Linux and be in XP without the need for a reboot then a VM is the best bet for you. You could look into VMWare Player or Co-operative Linux. If you don't mind shelling out some cash you could even get VMWare Worsktation. The VmWare player is good, and recently there have been a few Images of distros for VMWare player. It might also be worth looking at a Live CD if you don't want to install onto your hard drive.
Hello
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once youve installed it as a vm you will only want to make it your primary os Wink
alan4100

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shifty ben,

Your mentioning about my best bet is to buy a box.
What box? I want to be clear. Anyway, I will look for a distro and just install it on my xp if I read you right. Also consider a live CD.

I follow all your notes Exclamation
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was saying is your best bet is to buy a PC, but it now sounds like you already have one with XP installed. Take a look at Knoppix, its is the live cd with the best hardware support IMHO. Once you have decided on a Distro to use it is fairly simple, any problems and Im sure people on the forums will help you out Wink
alan4100

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

II will take a look at Knoppix.

Also, I have an older pc with 2 drives on XP. I use this pc little. Wondering if I can format (wipe clean) the second drive (dSmile while keeping XP on the c: drive? Install Linux on that d: drive. Is the install simple or requires lots of configurations?

Your saying it is difficult to find pc with preinstalled Linux, then I will install it myself. As long as the install is plain and simple.

It is very true about Windows OEMS. I have a pc with preinstalled Windows. Dell.

Knoppix seems the best choice for now.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan4100 wrote:

Wondering if I can format (wipe clean) the second drive (dSmile while keeping XP on the c: drive? Install Linux on that d: drive. Is the install simple or requires lots of configurations?

Yes you can do that, and it's quite easy. How simple the install process is will depend on which distro you choose, but most of the modern distros (Ubuntu, Mandriva, Suse, Fedora, to name just a few) have a fairly simple install procedure.

When installing you will need to pay particular attention to the Partitioning section, and make sure you tell it to use the D: drive for Linux. The install will then put a boot loader on the primary drive giving you a menu at boot time to select between Linux or Windows.
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan4100
you don't give the specs of the other machine?
if the Ram is less than 128Mb try Vector Linux or damnsmalllinux both of which will run on lower spec machines.
Also do have a look at Linux != Windows just to make sure that linux is what you want Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: