Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which distro for ancient laptop?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catnamedog

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Which distro for ancient laptop? Reply with quote

Hi all
Sorry if this should go in the mobile forum.
I've got an old Tosh Sattellite 4030CDS laptop with a celeron processor, 4gb hdd, and 64mb (yes!) of ram. Its got a CD reader and floppy disk as well.
I got a copy of PCLinuxOS from the web, and a copy of Mandriva on LXF June.
Sadly, neither of them are small enough, and install fails due to lack of memory.
Is there a small (DSL?) distro which is plug-and-play? I am an ignoramus newbie, so I dont have the expertise to chop bits out of standard distros to make it fit.
My ultimate project is to create a Carputer - touch screen, all the bits.
Thanks in advance.
zarathustra

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Which distro for ancient laptop? Reply with quote

I would suggest an earlier version of SuSE *pre novell* perhaps 7.2 as that from memory can handle such a laptop and has or at least can have a small footprint.

You might also look at Red Hat 7.1 as again it has a small footprint and it is also nippy I had it running at one time as a print server on an old laptop, a server *very slim install* and of course as a desktop.

Whatever you decide it really is versions from this kinda period you should be looking at.

Takre care
towy71

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Which distro for ancient laptop? Reply with quote

I am replying to this post from a Celeron laptop with 64 Mb ram and struggling to run knoppix livecd and Icewm.
I know I am making it work hard but it will install on the 4 Gb hdd

so try knoppix or one of the variations

HTH
Dick Smile
towy71

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Which distro for ancient laptop? Reply with quote

Hey back on my main machine and it is very nice but I wanted to try the ancient laptop but have been putting it off, so thanks catnamedog Wink

So Debian it is Wink Oh and a lite wm Laughing Rolling Eyes

Dick
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Which distro for ancient laptop? Reply with quote

It's got to be Debian or Slack. You might try a HD install of DSL though.

Create lots of swap!
Birdman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Which distro for ancient laptop? Reply with quote

I have installed Slackware on a similar spec Dell laptop. I am mindful of the newbie status and you may need to cut back on a few packages. It runs very nicely using the xfce4 wm.
alloydog
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Which distro for ancient laptop? Reply with quote

Vector Linux 4.3 - though you will be at the reccommended RAM limit 64MB. You try an earlier version. I found 3.2 was pretty good.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: