Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Get yer` FREE copy of Solaris .....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wmsheep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Get yer` FREE copy of Solaris ..... Reply with quote

......HERE
BoomSlang

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Get yer` FREE copy of Solaris ..... Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the link Smile
romansky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

Sun has contributed a lot to FOSS in later years, and that's splendid. It seems, though, that they're targeting Linux as they're rival when pushing the Solaris OS. Wouldn't it be better if supporters united against Windows and Mac, instead of fighting eachother for that lousy one percent marketshare?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

I don't think that's a concern. IBM, currently a 'good mate' to the Linux movement, advertises AIX over Linux for certain high-end requirements. If a company starts spreading FUD about Linux then, yes, that's a problem -- but promoting their own products is no big deal.

M
romansky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
I don't think that's a concern. IBM, currently a 'good mate' to the Linux movement, advertises AIX over Linux for certain high-end requirements. If a company starts spreading FUD about Linux then, yes, that's a problem -- but promoting their own products is no big deal.

M

S'pose you're right, Mike. I'll even admit that, although I use OpenSUSE 10.2, I too have taken Sun up on they're offer and ordered a free DVD, just to see what it is. One should think, though, that with Solaris 10 being a two years old OS, it would look a bit stale compared to the newer Linux distros.
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

Hasn't Solaris 10 been free beer for some time. I know I picked a copy for a look. Much more conservative than Linux, the default shell is cruelly rubbish with it's lack of a command history or tab completion. Hell you couldn't even edit the middle of a command by pressing back (you can default to bash of course). Lack of driver support as well although they do use a stable ABI and Solaris 8 drivers run fine in Solaris 10 (which is how I got my NIC running).

As for age, if you can get hardware support you can install all the modern X11/POSIX software you want. I know there are Firefox 2 and OOo packages out there for it but you can always do things the old fashioned way. The default Java Desktop seems too full of Suns advertising junk to stick with, the other environment they use is CDE.
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

I ordered mine. Really, just to have them.
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

Ordered a week ago, so should come in a few days?

The screenshots of its java desktop system looks like its trying to be Windows to some degree, as a few Windows users were quick to point out when I showed it to them.

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

I'm with donoreo. I ordered mine just so that I have them. I'll probably just run through an install or two just to try things out and then file them.

But I still cannot deny anything that donoreo did not say. Smile
Aquafire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

Ordered mine way back...at least three weeks ago.

Still waiting.

All that "Global warming" must have melted them on the way to Oz. Wink
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

I downloaded Solaris 10 last year... I'm running it on an early AMD64 that I failed to get any 64-bit version of Linux to run properly on (the fault is with the hardware, not Linux). But Solaris just works with it... this machine is now destined to replace the old SuSE 8.2 box I'm running as the office Samba server.

Solaris is one of the operating systems I program for, usually Solaris 8 or 9 on Sparc hardware. It's rock solid reliable in the same way that *BSD is. I quite like the Java desktop in Solaris 10 - it's a big improvement over CDE (I never did understand why they dropped OpenWindows for CDE). Containers look interesting too - SUN's take on virtualisation. Haven't had time to play with them yet.

Just remember when making comparisons with Linux, Solaris is more akin to RHEL or SLED than *buntu or Mandriva.
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

Still waiting for the disc. Really doubting it will ever arrive.

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

Diagmato wrote:
Still waiting for the disc. Really doubting it will ever arrive.

Me too, also. Granted, I'm just a private user who was looking just to put it through its paces, but still: Don't promise something on which you aren't going to come through.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

Mine arrived this morning

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend? Reply with quote

Mine arrived a couple of days ago, after I'd completely given up on it.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: