Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mandriva DVD version - segmentation errors on reboot

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Mandriva DVD version - segmentation errors on reboot Reply with quote

Hi,

I managed to get my laptop to install Mandriva 2005 from your CD coverdiscs (separate thread, thanks again!), but I'm having a problem with installing to my desktop from the DVD version, purchased 'cos there was more on it and I'd picked the wrong copy of the mag up. All seems to go well until reboot then I get a segmentation error and the boot halts.

I've tried doing a fresh install with only the keyboard and mouse attached but I still get the same error. I've also given Knoppix 3.3 a go on the same machine as specified below and that fires up no problem.

The basic machine spec is;
Athlon XP2400+
XFX KT400ALH mobo
3/4 gig DDR333 ram
SBLive

The hardware attached is;
HP PSC2110 all-in-one printer/scanner
Line 6 GuitarPort
Sync cradle for iPaq
BT Voyager wireless router through the LAN port

The installation is on to a fresh 20gb drive in a caddy.

I'm getting a bit lost now! Can you help, please?
Ta in advance,
Blemon
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: RE: Mandriva DVD version - segmentation errors on reboot Reply with quote

What do you see before the segmentation error? Knowing at what stage of the boot process this occurs would be helpful.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: RE: Mandriva DVD version - segmentation errors on reboot Reply with quote

Thanks, Nelz,

I'll confirm this later but I think it's one of the stages immediately after mounting the USB controllers; that's the last message I recall seeing. Comparing that to my laptop, the next thing it seems to try and do is mount the filesystems. Unfortunately, the dump that's displayed fills the panel such that what it's trying to do is lost as the panel scrolls. I'll try an interactive boot later (the machine in question is at home!) and confirm.

Best regards,
Blemon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandriva DVD version - segmentation errors on reboot Reply with quote

OK, Nelz, here's a bit more for you.

The boot falls over before I get to the interactive bit. The fault seems to be at the point where it's mounting and checking the filesystem. I think it checks ROOT ok the I think I saw the message that it was doing something with the swap area. It's at that point I believe I'm getting the segmentation error. Does this mean anything ...?

/etc/rc.d/rc.modules
modprobe is mentioned

Thanks again,
Blemon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandriva DVD version - segmentation errors on reboot Reply with quote

Nelz,

Panic over. I re-jigged my partitions so that the swap area was 512Mb. Then during install I only selected the configuration and system packages and installed everything else once Mandriva was up. In fact, this mail is from my Mandriva setup as opposed to my XP setup.

Thanks for your time,
Blemon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: