Technological singularity

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Technological singularity

Postby e_james » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:33 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

Maybe this topic has been through here before, while I wasn't around. If so, my apologies, but I was wondering if anyone else had given any thought to the possible consequences. eg.

-Since the singularity is estimated around 2030, 20 year plans (even 10 year) are probably pointless.

-The 2012 Olympics may never happen (never mind 2016).

-Any one born this year will likely lead a very interesting (and short?) life.

-I have doubts about human abilities to handle such rapid progress. This might slow it down or maybe we get enhanced (or replaced).
In any completed construction project, at least 50% of the cost and effort goes to building the box to put it in.
e_james

RE: Technological singularity

Postby Rhakios » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:07 am

While some regard the Singularity as a positive event and work to hasten its arrival, others view the Singularity as dangerous, undesirable, or unlikely to occur.

Guess which bit I agree with?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Flea » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:49 am

It's sad that there are so many intelligent people that waste their time dreaming about the consequences of events that are never going to happen. The matrix isn't real and "the machines" are never going to subdue the human race. These people need to get their heads out of the clouds and take a long, hard look at the world around them.

Dave.
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:07 am

The brilliant thing about machines. They have off buttons.

//edit - the reality is most robots today are either incredibly weak or have such a limited range of motion that you could stand there taunting it without any danger. It's unlike there will be many improvements in the near future, they can barely make these things stand currently.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:39 am

And how are all these machines going to work when the oil "runs out" and power becomes a scarce commodity (another favourite apocalyptic scenario) ?

And, of course, there's the upcoming reversal of the magnetic poles - who knows what effect that's going to have...
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:43 am

That's nowt! 'Grey goo' is the really scary thing that'll probably never happen :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Re: RE: Technological singularity

Postby Nigel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:49 am

M-Saunders wrote:That's nowt! 'Grey goo' is the really scary thing that'll probably never happen :-)

M

You obviously haven't flown economy class for a while... :D
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Technological singularity

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:14 am

Let me guess, you watched that Ryanair documentary last night? :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:08 pm

No, just flew "cattle class" across the Atlantic with a certain national carrier last month :!:
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby mintra » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:23 pm

Flea wrote:It's sad that there are so many intelligent people that waste their time dreaming about the consequences of events that are never going to happen. The matrix isn't real and "the machines" are never going to subdue the human race. These people need to get their heads out of the clouds and take a long, hard look at the world around them.

Dave.

Off course it will never happen, as it has already happened, anyone who has worked on a production line is subdued by the machine, we are almost totally synchronized with even simple machines like clocks.

I even have one which ells me to wake up in the morning.

To judge the behavior of our environment in human terms is missing the point, machines are just a manifestation of our environment, and our environment has always been in total control of us (evolution).

Our environment is already far more intelligent than us, so anything we make is only presents a different interface experience, it does not necessarily change the ratio of environmental control over us.

John
mintra

Postby mintra » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:25 pm

GMorgan wrote:The brilliant thing about machines. They have off buttons.

Go on then switch off the internet!
mintra

Postby Rhakios » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:29 pm

I just did, but then I couldn't reply to your post, so I switched it back on again. Didn't you notice? ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:40 pm

no i didn't :D
so you're saying the matrix isn't real?? in that case why did neo have to go back to the source if it wasn't to save mankind???
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby phorneker » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:48 am

How many of us are actually worried about what is going to happen in 2012? Here in the US, more of us are worried about the state of our economy than what is going to happen in 2012.

When you have people who cannot make the mortgage payments, about to lose their homes, and paying about $40 to $50 USD to fill their gas tanks to drive to work not knowing whether today will be the last day at their current job, I would say that what happens in 2012 is the last thing on their minds.
All words found in the Merriam Webster Dictionary including "and", "the", "it", "by", "or" and "not" are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. ;-)
phorneker

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:19 am

What are you whining about? Here (in Holland) gasprices are so high you'd pay 60-70 Euro's to fill an avarage sized gastank. Mind you, the Euro does 1.56 USD today...
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic