6x4 photoprinters

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

6x4 photoprinters

Postby spottedcat » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:47 pm

I want to buy a 6x4 dye sublimation photoprinter. I've looked at the Olympus P-S100, Canon Selphy CP510, Samsung SPP-2020 and Kodak PP300 in PC World. They all look good but with widely varying prices and cost of photopaper. I want to be able to control the printer from a computer, rather than just plugging my camera into it, so that I can decide which (if any) part of the picture it crops. But, of course, they all come only with Windows and MacOS drivers. I've looked in the list of kernel supported printers in YaST, and none of them appear there. I suppose they're all too new. And I've checked the manufacturers' websites. No joy there either.

I'll probably have to end up by controlling the thing from a Window$ machine, which would be a pity. Unless that is, anyone has any other ideas. And has anyone any experience of these types of printers? Any recommendations?

I'm aware of this thread: http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php? ... pic&t=2312
and perhaps that's one answer for the future.

Any comments would be much appreciated.
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: 6x4 photoprinters

Postby shifty_ben » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:07 am

I did look at getting a 6x4 photo printer, but I just couldnt find much to see if it would be supported, as I dont run windows at all anymore it would mean I was stuck if it had turned out it wasnt supported. I opted instead to get an A4 printer with some pretty high specs, I can still use 6x4 paper in it, in fact if i remember correctly you can set that as the default media type in CUPS. This route seems to have worked for me, although the paper is still damn expensive :S I recommend going for an Epson, they seem to be quite well suppported, and equally importantly the colours are in three cartridges not one, so if you run out of Cyan you just buy a new cyan cartridge rather than spending out on a new cartridge that holds all three. Seems to be cheaper but as Ive not yet had to buy 3 at once I cant say for sure.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

photoprinters

Postby spottedcat » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:31 pm

Thanks, shifty_ben. Perhaps I'll look more closely at the Epson range.

In the meantime I've had a thought. Samsung provides Linux support for its laser printers. My 2-3 year-old ML-1210 came with Windows, Mac AND Linux drivers on the CD (would you believe?), but works fine with CUPS in all the distros I've tried anyway, without any extra pfaffing around. Clearly, Samsung is more Linux friendly than some other printer manufacturers. Since the Samsung is the cheapest of the four I've listed, I've emailed them asking if they have any intention of releasing Linux drivers for their photoprinters. If I get a sensible response I'll post it on this thread.
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: photoprinters

Postby shifty_ben » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:03 pm

sounds good, let me know how u get on. Might look into getting one myself :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Re: photoprinters

Postby Nigel » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:09 am

spottedcat wrote:Samsung provides Linux support for its laser printers. My 2-3 year-old ML-1210 came with Windows, Mac AND Linux drivers on the CD (would you believe?)

Our office Samsung CLP-500N colour laser printer, bought last year, also came with Linux drivers on the CD, which was a pleasant surprise.
As does the Dell 5100n (which is a little easier to do as it's a Postscript printer so all they need to do is supply a suitable PPD file).
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Re: photoprinters

Postby spottedcat » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:02 pm

I promised that I would report back if I got a reply from Samsung. One arrived this morning, concerning the SPP-2020.

They say:

"[Solution]
We are not sure of if or when we are going to bring out linux drivers for this machine."

and then continue:

"I hope this has been of some assistance to you. If you do have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us."

I like the [Solution] bit, so make of that what you will.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Return to Hardware