recycling of printer parts ?????

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

recycling of printer parts ?????

Postby bigjohn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:59 am

Recently picked up an HP Laserjet 4050TN on e-bay for £60 (which had a page count of 130000 or so - service intervals of 200000). It printed small text OK, but V large (96pt) showed some fading. So after digging around, it appeared that it probably needed servicing. I managed to get a full HP maintainence kit from e-bay for £75.

I've just done the service and the printer now seems to print excellently on large and small text (it even shows up stuff like the shading and watermarks from the config menu/test pages nice and clearly). I figured that £135 for an effectively refurbed 4050tn is not too bad.

Anyway, I'm now left with a fuser assembly that can also be refurbished (recycled if you like). The prices for just a fuser seem to be about the £50 to £70 mark, so I figure it's got to be worth £15 to £20 or so.

I remember seeing a couple of ad's on the net for companies buying old fuser's for refurb/resale (which I now can't find) and I wondered if any of you might have any links/suggestions/advice for me to be able to pass it on (preferably for the £15 to 20 or so).

I'd really rather try to make some use of it, but as I'm not any kind of "wheeler/dealer" any info would be greatfully appreciated.

TVM

John
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

RE: recycling of printer parts ?????

Postby Nigel » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:08 pm

Our local stationer will take in parts like this for recycling, but don't pay anything for them (I think they have a charity collect them every once in a while). You can probably find a similar deal local to you.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: recycling of printer parts ?????

Postby bigjohn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:16 pm

Ah! I hadn't thought of that. I'll check round locally - though if I can I'd like to sell it (obviously).

So if anyone else has any ideas/suggestions that'd be great.

regards

John
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

Return to Off Topic