BT Voyager 205 Router

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

BT Voyager 205 Router

Postby poetofzwan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:10 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm completely new to Linux and have just installed openSUSE Linux which came with the How-to magazine I bought in WHSmith. It was made by Linux Format!

Installation was fine apart from my BT Voyager 205 Router does not seem to have been recognised. Its plugged in using USB as dont have ethernet connection on my desktop computer. Now when I login to Linux, I can't connect to the internet.

Is there anyway to set-up my Router on Linux openSUSE?

Thanks in Advance and nice to meet you all!
poetofzwan

RE: BT Voyager 205 Router

Postby poetofzwan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:23 pm

Anyone?
Complete Linux Newbie!

Running openSUSE Version 10.0
poetofzwan

RE: BT Voyager 205 Router

Postby nelz » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:51 pm

USB is horrible for networking. If you could make it work, and it's probably possible, it would be slower than a proper network connection. Even a cheapo 9(ess than a fiver) ethernet card will make life easier and faster.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby poetofzwan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:48 pm

Where can I buy one of these ethernet cards?, which is the most compatible with Linux SUSE and what exactly can I do with the ethernet card?

Sorry Im a complete novice with some things!
Complete Linux Newbie!

poetofzwan

Postby poetofzwan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:38 pm

Ethernet cards seem pretty cheap I may give them a go. Are they easy to install, I have found plenty of Linux compatible ones! Does my actual router work on Linux OpenSUSE does anyone know?
Complete Linux Newbie!

poetofzwan

Postby Rhakios » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:09 pm

Any router that connects through ethernet will work with Linux through the ethernet connection. It looks from BT's page that the 205 has an ethernet port, but you'd be in a position to know as you have one.
The exact settings you have to use are another matter - the BT page says you get a "Comprehensive user guide and technical guide" which should tell you the network settings that the router needs for you to connect. It is pretty easy to translate these into terms that you can use on Linux.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:02 pm

An ethernet card is as easy to install as any other PCI card. Turn off, put it in, turn on. YaST should detect and configure it for you. Most routers support DHCP for automatic configuration, so plug it in and it will be set up for you. That should be all you need to do if you have already configured the router with your login details from Windows. To do any other configuration, use your browser to connect to the address given in the router's manual.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Flea » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:37 pm

Hi poetofzwan,

I am with BT and I use the voyager 205. I can tell you that the 205 works perfectly using the ethernet option. I have never tried the USB mainly for reasons already stated.

Dave.
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Thanks!

Postby poetofzwan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:25 pm

Thanks, its all sorted! for my computer.
Complete Linux Newbie!

poetofzwan

Return to Hardware