Women in open source

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Women in open source

Postby pau1ie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:17 am

Before you ask I am male.

However I have some theories. I installed Ubuntu (Warty - upgraded to Hoary when it came out) on my wifes computer, and she liked it. It works better and (she says) it is quicker browsing the web.

She was exploring the apps available and clicked on the IRC client which attached her to an Ubuntu general forum. Within a few minutes she was asked if she was male or female. She answered and was propositioned. She said "I am happily married with a child", but the boke would not take the (rather unsubtle) hint: "I don't mind" he replied. She tried again a couple of weeks later and something similar happened.

So, she will never do that again. So she will not become part of the "open source community", and therefore will not contribute.

I don't know the solution.
pau1ie

RE: Women in open source

Postby ryptyde » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:56 pm

I don't believe that it is only a problem inherent to the "open source community".
There is more to open source than "chat channels" which I'm sure she's well aware
of.

Here's another little tidbit to ponder as to why women avoid "open source".
I recently went to a "LUG" meeting at a local library,there were 18 men/0 women
in attendence.The wife had accompanied me to the library and went about looking
at publications that were of interest to her.

The wife sat in at the close of the session and not one person there even asked her
if she was a Linux user let alone proposition her.I have been in some boring meetings
but this one was extremely boring.

There were some "newbie" and curious(me) in attendence and I for one would not go
to another such meeting as the only enthusiasm and excitement that was shown was
when the topic of "food and beverages" after the meeting was breeched.

Phil
ryptyde

Re: Women in open source

Postby CJLL » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:12 pm

pau1ie wrote:She was exploring the apps available and clicked on the IRC client which attached her to an Ubuntu general forum. Within a few minutes she was asked if she was male or female. She answered and was propositioned. She said "I am happily married with a child", but the boke would not take the (rather unsubtle) hint: "I don't mind" he replied. She tried again a couple of weeks later and something similar happened.

I don't know the solution.

You could always borrow some pics of my ex, just dcc one of those over to the poor desperate geek and watch him instantly disconnect. :wink:
CJLL
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs