Is it all lost?

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby evilnick » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:51 am

yes, there is progess on this - we hired a chimp ;-)

We can't re-institute the old forum and database for the reasons we had to remove it in the first place - teh forums were flaky and insecure, and subject to repeated attacks.

I think Mike is working on this as a medium priority. Give him a chance - I think he's already done a great deal for the site.
evilnick

Postby A-Wing » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:40 pm

You are still using a very old version of phpBB that is vulnerable to attacks though. It was a nightmare getting all our customers that use phpBB to upgrade after the spate of attacks that happened a few months ago. Even one of my forum sites was attacked, I have switched to SMF forum (as I have with all my forum sites) and all is well now (touch wood) :)
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:54 pm

Yeah, the old database schema is very different from the new one, so populating this forum with the Help contents from the old site is no easy task. Still doable, however, and I'll get it sorted out soon -- once I've done the disks, another newsletter, and various other things in the pipeline :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby richie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:17 pm

M-Saunders wrote:Yeah, the old database schema is very different from the new one, so populating this forum with the Help contents from the old site is no easy task. Still doable, however, and I'll get it sorted out soon -- once I've done the disks, another newsletter, and various other things in the pipeline :-)

M

Hi

Sorry to chase, but as the winter nights are drawing in, I would like to check back on some of the old forum posts, is this going to be available soon soon?

Cheers
Richie
richie

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:05 pm

Maybe -- it's going to be a pretty big job and I have lots of other things to work on right now! I'll let you know if and when anything happens...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:18 pm

I found a script to do it for you the other day, a universal one to migrate from any board to phpbb. Bloody lost it now. Nevermind
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:23 pm

Hrm, that could be interesting. There can be problems when using some phpBB add-ons/tools with PostNuke's version (PNphpBB), but anything that could emspeeden the process would be welcome :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Previous

Return to This Website