Is it all lost?

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: RE: Is it all lost?

Postby Lancer » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:23 am

evilnick wrote:We have the old database and I promise that sometime next week we'll look and see if we can get something out of it.

Yayyy!!!! I would really appreciate getting something like this running. Like I suggested earlier - can it fit on one of the DVD's? Placing it online might just result in a large and unnecessary wget raid from lotsa people before it gets pulled for good.

Of course to be of any real use, a forum database that large would have to be searchable, preferably by keyword as well as username.

P.S: Could the Wiki also get resurrected? I had some useful stuff there as well.
Lancer
LXF regular

Postby richie » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:53 am

evilnick wrote:
richie wrote:
Please could you consider placing the old forums on the internet for a month or so? This way at least everyone has an opportunity to get what they need from it, rather just letting all the old info go to waste.

We have the old database and I promise that sometime next week we'll look and see if we can get something out of it.

Great news, appreciate you are trying, thank you very much.

cheers
Rich
richie

Postby nordle » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:50 pm

evilnick wrote:We have the old database and I promise that sometime next week we'll look and see if we can get something out of it.

If you can get the data onto a DVD coverdisc, that sounds like a great idea!
Fingers crossed...
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:20 pm

Rhakios wrote:
Marrea wrote:Rhakios
Is it difficult to install/use Fink?

A quick read of the instructions was all I needed, the main benefit of Fink, it seems to me, is that it installs in its own hierarchy and thus does not interfere with the existing installation.)

Rhakios

Many thanks.

I think what I will do is get a little more used to Mac first and then I will have a look at Fink and see how I get on.

Marrea
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby smita034 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:52 pm

any news on this? there was some very handy stuff from the old site that i would find handy ¬¬
smita034

Postby richie » Mon May 16, 2005 12:44 pm

Hi

Have you had chance to look in to this, wondered if the old forum info will be appearing on the site or on the cover disk?

thanks
Rich
richie

Postby lxfadmin » Tue May 17, 2005 1:43 pm

This is still somrthing ongoing, extractign useful data and injecting it into the DB has been a little more complicated that expected.
personally, I think we should hire a chimp to type it all out again...
lxfadmin

Postby Nigel » Tue May 17, 2005 2:43 pm

lxfadmin wrote:personally, I think we should hire a chimp to type it all out again...

There's one in Neverland that could be out of a job soon... :D
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Tue May 17, 2005 11:37 pm

lxfadmin wrote:This is still somrthing ongoing, extractign useful data and injecting it into the DB has been a little more complicated that expected.

Seriously, do you buy the peanuts by the tonne, or bag, how does that work?
Either way, Im in, 40WPM, should be done by 2022 (just in time for the next upgrade :) )
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Lancer » Sat May 21, 2005 8:31 pm

lxfadmin wrote:This is still somrthing ongoing, extractign useful data and injecting it into the DB has been a little more complicated that expected.

I hope you're not going through all the posts and deleting stuff you think isn't relevant. Who cares about the double posts either - just preserve them all and get this thing out (please).
Lancer
LXF regular

Postby guy » Sun May 22, 2005 11:59 am

lxfadmin wrote:personally, I think we should hire a chimp to type it all out again...

I have to struggle here not to say something that gets me banned from the forums. :wink:
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sun May 22, 2005 12:40 pm

guy wrote:I have to struggle here not to say something that gets me banned from the forums. :wink:

let me guess, something about editorial team and primates(not archbishops) ;-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:oops:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby smita034 » Mon May 23, 2005 9:03 am

lmao *says nothing* :lol: :lol:
Alex A. Smith
99% of all computer problems occur between the chair and keyboard
smita034

Postby jjmac » Mon May 23, 2005 10:59 am

>>
extractign useful data and injecting it into the DB has been a little more complicated that expected.
>>

Any hints as to the kind(s) of complications. Not a "MS document type" type of problem, type of thing, i hope, ... is it ? ... See what happens when you use MS stuff. Bad things always, eventually result :)

>>
I hope you're not going through all the posts and deleting stuff you think isn't relevant.
>>

ditto on that, there is some really good stuff stashed away in all of that ... the doubles could well be removed though. That should well shrink it down a bit (grin).

>>
... personally, I think we should hire a chimp to type it all out again...
>>

Sounds like a job for sed with pipes and a set of radical regular expresions :)

jm

Code: Select all

-:-  If the system is the answer, then the question
                          must have been really stupid                -:-
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby richie » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:44 am

Hi

I take it still work in progress on this? Rather than trying to merge the old database in to the the new one, how about just putting the old database on the site as a separate link?

Cheers
Rich
richie

PreviousNext

Return to This Website