Is it all lost?

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Is it all lost?

Postby Lancer » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:02 pm

Finally -back online. What about all those posts on the prior forum? Are they lost? They were a good reference.
Lancer
LXF regular

RE: Is it all lost?

Postby evilnick » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:02 am

I'm afraid so. Some of it was very useful I know. There didn't seem to be any sensible way of migrating it though.

Anyway, you only nostalgicaly think it was good. Half of it was Rhakios spoutng nonsense... :P
evilnick

Postby Rhakios » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:35 pm

Not long until I achieve that on the new site too :P :P
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Lancer » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:02 pm

Is there a way you could give an archive of the original site contents - maybe on one of the DVD's ?
Lancer
LXF regular

Re: RE: Is it all lost?

Postby Marrea » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:36 pm

evilnick wrote:Anyway, you only nostalgicaly think it was good. Half of it was Rhakios spoutng nonsense... :P

Wow, it's good to be back. Only half of it? No, seriously - Rhakios does not spout nonsense. Hi there again, Rhakios. I'm still on SuSE 9.2 and loving it.

Cheers
Marrea
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Is it all lost?

Postby Rhakios » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:23 am

Really? I was hoping to become the 1sf (troll) (see the PCPlus forums) of the LXF site.

Are you looking forward to SuSE 9.3? I should be getting it around the end of the month and I'm all agog to have a go with beagle. KDE 3.4 I have already installed via YaST, of course.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:45 pm

1sf (troll)? I wondered what on earth you were on about at first. I have to make a confession here: I have never looked at the PC Plus forums until just now, which I had to do for clarification. I somehow think I shall be visiting them a lot more. What a fantastic, wacky bunch of individuals!

Not too sure at the moment what to do about 9.3. Like you, I've upgraded my KDE to 3.4 on 9.2 and everything is running quite nicely and just the way I want it, so I'm rather loath to start from scratch all over again. I may wait for 10 (or whatever the next version after 9.3 will be called). However ..... no doubt after I have read your views on 9.3 I may possibly change my mind.

Incidentally, I've now also started using Mac OS X (I'm a complete noob to Mac). I just couldn't resist one of those cute little white biscuit tin thingies, and am pleasantly surprised to discover how "Linuxy" the Mac operating system is.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:43 pm

Since the early part of the year I have a PowerBook, so I've been using OS X as well. It's quite nice to have the familiar command prompt available and be able to ssh easily from one box to another.
I have also installed Fink, which gives me lots of the Open Source applications I know and love.
The one thing I am not too sure about is the fact that there is no global way of managing the non-Fink software on the system. It seems that the inclusiveness of the Linux distribution model does have some advantages.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby richie » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:39 pm

evilnick wrote:I'm afraid so. Some of it was very useful I know. There didn't seem to be any sensible way of migrating it though.

The old forums were very useful, I understand you have a problem migrating, but I think very poor to just not bother trying something else. I was relying on the forums for help with articles. For example I had saved the Troutwars articles for when I had time to have a go with it, I'm now about to start and it would be useful if the old forum was available to follow the advice of others.

Please could you consider placing the old forums on the internet for a month or so? This way at least everyone has an opportunity to get what they need from it, rather just letting all the old info go to waste.

I have to say I'm not really convinced of the benefits of the new site, you've lost the old forum info, the site seems slower than before and less together with the adverts all over the place, a step backwards.

Rich
richie

Postby Marrea » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:49 pm

Rhakios wrote:I have also installed Fink, which gives me lots of the Open Source applications I know and love.

Rhakios
Is it difficult to install/use Fink?
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:55 pm

richie wrote:I have to say I'm not really convinced of the benefits of the new site, you've lost the old forum info, the site seems slower than before and less together with the adverts all over the place, a step backwards.

Rich

The speed seems much improved to me. Posting a message is now done in a flash compared with the old site. What part seems slow to you?
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:57 pm

richie wrote:I have to say I'm not really convinced of the benefits of the new site, you've lost the old forum info, the site seems slower than before and less together with the adverts all over the place, a step backwards.

Rich

Which browser are you using? I first thought the site rather slow, but when I switched from Konqueror to Firefox it flew. It appears that Konq doesn't like the delays from the ad servers.
nelz
Site admin

Postby richie » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:18 pm

nelz wrote:Which browser are you using? I first thought the site rather slow, but when I switched from Konqueror to Firefox it flew. It appears that Konq doesn't like the delays from the ad servers.

Hi

Yes, switched to Firefox and it is noticeably quicker than konqueror.

Thanks
Rich
richie

Postby evilnick » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:51 pm

richie wrote:
Please could you consider placing the old forums on the internet for a month or so? This way at least everyone has an opportunity to get what they need from it, rather just letting all the old info go to waste.

We have the old database and I promise that sometime next week we'll look and see if we can get something out of it.
evilnick

Postby Rhakios » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:17 pm

Marrea wrote:Rhakios
Is it difficult to install/use Fink?

A quick read of the instructions was all I needed, the main benefit of Fink, it seems to me, is that it installs in its own hierarchy and thus does not interfere with the existing installation.
The main decision you need to make is whether you opt for Apple's X server or XDarwin. I opted for the latter and I'm not sure it was the correct decision.
Unless I'm missing something (quite probably) Fink installed apps need to be launched from the command-line. I have not gone as far as installing a full-blown desktop environment, I content myself with a few applications I feel I really need.
Parenthetically, NeoOffice is quite good (www.neooffice.org).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Next

Return to This Website