One suggestion - go native in the US

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

One suggestion - go native in the US

Postby mdweaversr » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:48 am

You guys are great! Editorial quality, and content far beyond the normal US trade rag. You could easily contract the pub in the US without giving up anything. I've been paying the going rate US without complaining, but I'd bet that you could x4 the subscription rate if you got the price down to <$100.... but I suppose if all else fails... If it aint broke don't fix it!

I'd love to see an article on use of Linux in HAM radio, and OSS video editing.
mdweaversr

RE: One suggestion - go native in the US

Postby Ninthwave » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:52 pm

Second that motiion, I lived and worked in the UK for 4 years and got hooked on a lot of what Future publishing was doing, living in Bath you just can't miss your employees on the trains or about. And this publication and Future Music would do well here, though this more so. I keep pointing people to http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk and it would be so much easier if you handled the US distribution yourself. I haven't checked if you have yet hmm but anyway second the above.
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said: "I drank what?" - Chris Knight (Val Kilmer)- Real Genius
Ninthwave

Postby nordle » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:05 pm

This also gets my vote, might I also suggest opening a base in somwhere like, oh I dont know, California?
So if this does happen, and you need a database guy, or just some bloke to throw stuff at, Im your man! :)
nordle
LXF regular

Postby LeFou » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:30 pm

I go every month to the bookstore and brose all the Lx magazines, but LXF is the one I always end up taking home. Great work.
LeFou

Base it out of Canada for North America

Postby donoreo » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:02 pm

Keep it in the Commonwealth and all that ;)

I have been buying LF for several years now. My wife even bought me a subscription for my birthday last year. I love that subscription is not only much less expensive but the new issue is out much faster so the news is not so old. The newstand issue is always out the last week of the current month (Nov issue out in last week of Nov).
donoreo
LXF regular

Re: Base it out of Canada for North America

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:19 pm

donoreo wrote:Keep it in the Commonwealth and all that ;)

Indeed, if they printed it in Canada, they could serve both markets
:wink:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: Base it out of Canada for North America

Postby jjmac » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:43 am

Howdy,

mdweaversr wrote:
>>
I've been paying the going rate US without complaining, but I'd bet that you could x4 the subscription rate if you got the price down to <$100....
>>

Cluuugggblonk ---->

Sound of me collapsing to floor unconconscious. I thought i had it bad, we atleast don't have to pay over a $100 an issue. (good_grief.png)

Rhakios wrote:
>>
>>

Brilliant :), print it in Aus (grin). Then it's all down hill, all the frogman has to do is swim south, once past the pole, it's still down hill.

Ain't science great :)

Appended Later: :oops: Theres an error there somewhere ...

jm
Last edited by jjmac on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: Base it out of Canada for North America

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:16 pm

jjmac wrote:kios wrote:
>>
>>

Brilliant :), print it in Aus (grin). Then it's all down hill, all the frogman has to do is swim south, once past the pole, it's still down hill.

Ain't science great :)

jm

Nah, not worth printing in Australiia, there aren't enough of you. The Americas on the other hand - ther's loads of them, big market spells money to Future publishing. In fact they'd probably get it printed in Mexico, where labour is cheap.
;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: RE: Re: Base it out of Canada for North America

Postby jjmac » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:51 pm

>>
, there aren't enough of you.
>>

Drat,,, didn't think of that :roll: , but then again :idea: ,,, the way our Industrial Relations system is being dismantled these days ... it could still be a good option :roll:

jm
jjmac
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: Base it out of Canada for North America

Postby lxfadmin » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:14 am

Thanks for all the nice comments here - for a change ;)

personally, I would like to produce LXF in space. It would be all downhill from our orbiting Linux Station, and with a laser guided delivery system, we could probably land the issue on your desk.

The Americas are a big market for us, and Future does have a US office which also produces some great magazines. Maybe one day we will print there. For the moment though we are concentrating on expanding the current distribution and trying to cut the overseas subscription rates (I hope you noticed the offers over Christmas).
lxfadmin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Base it out of Canada for North America

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:41 pm

lxfadmin wrote:Thanks for all the nice comments here - for a change ;)

Odd, it seems to me that posts on these boards are predominantly positive about the magazine (though there's always plenty of griping about things in general), there are often suggestions for "improvements", but surely that is a positive thing.

Do you get lots of nasty, critical e-mails then, or are you simply being a little ironic?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs