SuSE 10 wireless problem

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

SuSE 10 wireless problem

Postby gert1 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:10 am

:cry
Can't get wireless internet access on my HP nc6220 laptop running SuSe 10; card is a IntelPro 2200bg, recognised and configured as dhcp by system.
Signal is good (80%); K-internet displays essid, card has MAC address assigned, but that's about it! Kernel recently updated to 2.6.13-15.7. Suggestions anyone?

:
gert1

Postby Cogar » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:28 pm

Recognized and configured by DHCP only means your router has assigned it an IP address. That does not necessarily mean the card is operating properly. A better "test" is if it shows up configured in YaST. You can check using the following path:

1. K Menu --> Control Center --> YaST2 Modules --> Network Devices --> Network Card.
2. Click on the Administrator Mode button and enter your root password.

Your network card will then show as configured or not.

Additionally, are you using encryption (WEP, WPA, etc.)? Has that been set up?
Cogar

Postby gert1 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:43 pm

Hi Cougar,

Thank you very much for your tip.

I'm actually posting the problem on behalf of my son, hopefully
your hint will work out!

Cheers,
gert1

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:09 pm

Sometimes, DHCP doesn`t work with wifi on suse, not sure why at the moment,but:
open a shell, su to root, and type ifconfig
that will tell you if the card has an IP address or not.
If not, assign it a fixed IP, gateway, and DNS as required.( the last 2 are usually your router's IP).
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Along the Same Lines

Postby Pyro » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:17 pm

I have an Acer 2012WLMi laptop. Just loaded Open Suse 10. I can not get the Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG working. Going Yast2 shows the wirless as having being configured for automatic DHCP. The EESID has been set to the right name. Nothing happens. No problems when running under windows xp -ugh
Pyro

Postby dixon_hoyle » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:15 am

I had this problem with several of the early 2.6 kernel distros and a laptop. I went to the How-to's and they did a good job helping me configure things once I realized that the file structure and file names had changed.

The crux of it was that the laptop sported a builtin Ethernet card as well as the wireless device. In the bootup process the eiternet card was recognized before the cardbus driver, and a DHCP address was assigned to the ethernet card - which was not plugged in.

My solution was to "down" eth0, "down" eth1 just for good measure, then "up" eth1, which was the wireless card assignment. I'm being generic here because you'll have to look at your ethernet configurations to figure out the "eth" assignments. "ifdown" and "ifup" are not the same with every distro, but the effect is to stop and start the service on the device

Now, I suppose there is a way to change the order of recognition of the cardbus and/or the wireless card with the builtin ethernet card during bootup - perhaps someone posting later than me will tell us all how to do it, but having to open a root console and run these simple commands wasn't that much effort - and it solved the problem! Perhaps the distro writers will see this, scratch their heads, and fix the problem!
dixon_hoyle

Postby nelz » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:33 am

The easy solution is [url=http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/ifplugd/]ifplugd/url]. This will detect whether you have a cable plugged into your wired ethernet port and take the interface up or down as appropriate.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Hardware