Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap PC vendors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firefox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any good PC component sellers online?

I recently bought a barebones PC with some extras from novatech, but they failed to meet the delivery date twice in a row (leaving me waiting around the house for two days) so I cancelled my order.

I don't want a shuttle system or anything fancy, just the ability to chose the parts I want, and leave out the ones I don't (i.e. 56k modems, monitor etc.).
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

I buy a lot of stuff from Ebuyer - http://www.ebuyer.com - their prices are good and they often deliver sooner than expected.
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

I've used loads over the years though never Novatech. Most of the good ones advertise in Micro Mart (a rival Mag, but there you go).

My favourites include:

ebuyer, Aria, Microdirect, Component Solutions, RL supplies. Another good one used to be Eclipse but as they have stopped advertising I fear the worst!

The great thing is that you can buy computers with no OS installed so you don't pay for Windoze.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

I think ebuyer might be suffering a little from their popularity, while their deliveries have been spot-on before, the two orders I placed in the last month have been a day or two off, with different items arriving on different days despite being dispatched from the same source.
Otherwise, I have found them to be good.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

The order I placed last week arrived in two parts. One box was a day early, the other two days early. My previous order was a day early too. I think they have moved to two day delivery as standard, butr still advertise it as 3 day to give themselves room to change things around. Then they email to say they are upgrading your delivery for free Smile
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

I've spent a lot of money with ebuyer over the last >5 years, and there has been something wrong with every order over 10 items, which is about 50% of orders.
I know I should use a different supplier, but their range is 2nd to none and they are always cheaper, although the effort fixing mistakes usually wipes this out.

Great range, good price, nice and usable web site, and apparently they are improving their reponses times to eNotes (the only way of realisitcally communicating with the company), and to Returns (should find out as I fill in another RMA request for a dud keyboard).

They have sent me a DOA hard disc (not their fault, but 3 weeks to turn it around!!), several DOA mobo's (not their fault, but again, sOO slow to return), beige CDRW instead of black, 32MB graphics card instead of 64MB, a 100 order and someone forgot a 1.92 ink cartridge, several totally seperate deliveries missed which TOTALLY wastes precious annual leave, and no-one rings to let you know, or emails.

This time last year I built my new Athlon64 3200, and had HUGE difficulties in actually getting the bits. The order came to 1100, and 15-20 items and at the time of order ALL were in stock with at least 20 units. 1st delivery came and went, no items, rang them for 40mins, gave up dropped an eNote. Reply to eNote was "sorry one of the items is out of stock" which at the time of order it was ALL in stock, but they only hold items in your order for 48hours, remember that bit because as you'll see it can turn out that you'll never recieve goods as delivery dates get incremented and more of your order goes out of stock.
Not helped by the 24 hours it takes to reply to an eNote, and don't even think of ringing.

So it was out of stock, but they didn't bother to let me know, so I dropped that item from the list. Because that counts as an order change, the delivery period is incremented again, and those items that were reserved against your order no longer are, so guess what, next delivery date arrives....and goes....
Another eNote and reply "sorry something else is out of stock", ok as stock expected in 24 hours I'll wait, except delivery date gets incremented and my reserved items are no longer reserved, and again another delivery date is missed.
Another eNote and reply "Something else is now out of stock, but that previous dropped item is back in stock, shall we add it back to your list" me="yeah ok", delivery target gets incremented again, doh! And new delivery date comes...and goes.. Another eNote from me saying WTF are the playing at, reply = "sorry sir, another item is now out of stock", I check the site and point out that all they've done is had a new delivery and changed the product code of the identical item, tough, new date, new increment.
Now Im pissed, lots several days annual leave for SFA, so I do what I should have done, cancelled the order, then re-ordered the items again in several smaller orders. All at the same time, just split into smaller orders, costs 15 extra in delivery charges, but it had to be done.
I did look at aria.co.uk at this time, because I was so sure to cancel the whole thing from ebuyer out of principle, but aria.co.uk just did not do what I wanted, and it would have meant ordering from 3-4 suppliers so I gave in (not that strong principles) and stuck with it.

It took 6 weeks to order those parts on their premium 2 day service.

That particular episode was a year ago, so I stress that It may have improved, like I said I'll soon find out with this RMA on a dud keyboard (2 months old).

I've had good results from
ebuyer (on occasion its been as it should)
crucial (great customer support)
kustompcs.co.uk
savastore.com
aria.co.uk
microdirect.co.uk
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

Perhaps they know you write for a computer magazine nelz. I haven't experienced anything like that this year. In fact the order I placed before this one, I got this e-mail:

Quote:

Due to the dramatic upturn in our order volumes we are currently experiencing a 1-2 day backlog on
our Standard Service and Super Saver deliveries and some next day orders. Our dispatch teams are
working round the clock to clear these backlogs and we are currently recruiting to relieve and
balance the extra workload. We expect to have the currently volumes under control very shortly.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the annoyance and disappointment you may have been caused
by this temporary delay of service.

Thank you for your patience and co-operation in this matter.

nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

I have had problems with them, but they do seem to be working to deal with them. The order I placed last week had one item out of stock. they emailed me immediately, saying that they now hold all other stock items for 48 hours to give that one a chance to be restocked. As it turned out, the item came back in stock a few hours later and I got that part (an ink cartridge) a day before the rest.

I have experienced some of the stuff Rhakios and nordle mention, but they do seem to have dealt with the issues. I'd be wary about ordering anything from them that I needed urgently, but for normal situations, their prices are hard to beat, and they obviously have to keep their costs down, which is why no-one answers the phone.

I just wish they'd get rid of those damn e-notes and use proper email!
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
I just wish they'd get rid of those damn e-notes and use proper email!

With email you usually keep copies too, but as I found out yesterday when trying to refresh my memory as to the exact details, I checked ebuyer and ALL my old eNotes have been removed....ahhhh the perfect crime..
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

I'll remember to print out any e-notes in future. The daft thing is they send you a copy of any enptes they send you by email. So you can read them in your mailer but have to fire up a browser and log into the site to reply.
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

In my earlier post I said I feared for Eclipse Computers as they were no longer advertising in MicroMart. I may have done them an injustice, their site seems to be up and running, for the time being, at least. www.eclipse-computers.com

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
firefox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

They look quite good. Why do you think they are on their last legs?
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

Eclipse are based in Coventry, I have always found them OK.
I also frequently use Ballicom in Coventry
http://www.ballicom.co.uk.
I have a friend who uses e-buyer extensively, and he is based in Cornwall.

We have trade accounts, so can`t speak for the retail prices, but they are competitive.
I notice that a lot of these websites that state "in stock" actually mean in stock at their suppliers!

This is because they rely on next or same day delivery of their orders.

firefox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

Do you know who ballicom use to deliver?
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Cheap PC vendors Reply with quote

firefox wrote:
They look quite good. Why do you think they are on their last legs?

Just concerned that they stopped advertising in MicroMart. However their internet site seems very much alive. I travelled to Eclipse all the way to Coventry once after they sent me some stuff that wouldn't work, as it turns out, due to dodgy RAM. On a Saturday Morning they had a couple of guys in the shop just to deal with Technical stuff and help people who couldn't get bits working. They swapped the RAM, apologised, and it all worked. Their shop was packed with locals, not surprising given their prices. Their service is normally very good.

Like all of these firms at the "cheap" end, however, take no chances. Ensure your item is in stock and pay by credit card (or in person at the shop taking the goods with you).

But I have a lot of time for Eclipse and I hope they continue to serve us!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: