LXF75

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF75

Postby alex_extreme » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:09 pm

Just received my copy via subscription, and the Future Linux article is great. Even though I've never really liked KDE, I must say, 3.5 looks brill - I've tried it on my test box with the Frugalware development branch (just a quick note, it would be nice if there was a review of Frugalware sometime, because it's a great distro, and the development branch is never broken, meaning you can stay up to date easily).

Xorg 7.0 also looks shiny. For anyone who wants to know, it's release is scheduled for 21st December - just in time for Christmas :D
alex_extreme

RE: LXF75

Postby marco » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:18 pm

I agree - KDE 3.5 looks great! I used Gnome so far, but since KDE 3.5 was released I switched my default desktop.

Now I can reinstall Slackware without Dropline Gnome :-)
marco
LXF regular

Postby isileth » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:41 pm

I have never considered running a squid proxy server on my home network, no real need, but the tutorial on how to do so was totally fantastic. By far the best tutorial I have seen in a very long time, just the right tone and detail making something which could very easily be totally dull into something which took ten minutes to read and left me wishing that Linux Format was a weekly magazine. Outstanding. Just as a post script, I am not an expert power user, it's just, in the words of Garth in Waye's World "I like to play"
isileth

Postby Ninthwave » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:19 pm

I am just happy to see the tutorials on Inkscape. I would have missed this application for awhile if you haven't highlighted it in the tutorials well I would still be thinking we lacked a good Illustrator like program. SIlly me good for you.
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said: "I drank what?" - Chris Knight (Val Kilmer)- Real Genius
Ninthwave

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs