Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for graphics card with DV out for SUSE 9.1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nerd_biker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Looking for graphics card with DV out for SUSE 9.1 Reply with quote

Hi,

I know there are millions of graphics cards available but I was hoping for some suggestions as to which card to go for that has a DV output.

I'm not into gaming on my Linux box, so 3D graphics are not important. In fact, the cheaper the card, the better!

I just wondered what experience people have of this type of card and which makes are better supported than others.

If anyone can suggest a good place to find out more information, that would be great as so far I only seem to find Windows based reviews.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tony
towy71

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for graphics card with DV out for SUSE 9.1 Reply with quote

google is your friend Wink

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=linux+hardware+compatibility&spell=1
one of the listed 1,620,000:

http://www.linuxhardware.net/

Dick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for graphics card with DV out for SUSE 9.1 Reply with quote

Thanks Dick, the linuxhardware.net link will be useful.

I was also hoping to get some feedback from people who have actually installed DV out cards to help me limit the search, do you own a card with a DV out?

Anyway, I'll get down to trawling through the web sites!

Thanks again,
Tony
towy71

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for graphics card with DV out for SUSE 9.1 Reply with quote

I have to wind up the clockwork to get my box running and I have trouble with anything too technical but I hope to upgrade soon so that I can get to play Tuxracer Wink Laughing
Seriously I do have G-force FX 5600 XT and it does have TV-out and DVI but I'm b***ered if I know what it does or what for. I only bought it cos it came with splinter cell and I wanted to play that but I haven't got round to that either doh!
Dick
ps using Kubuntu getting the Nvidia drivers to work was a doddle so I'm sure that the DV thing can't be too hard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for graphics card with DV out for SUSE 9.1 Reply with quote

The DVI out is a digital signal output for monitors which require a digital input. VGA SVGA etc are analogue signals and usually sent via the 15 pin D connector on the graphics card. As I understand it DVI is used mainly by the more advanced TFT displays.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for graphics card with DV out for SUSE 9.1 Reply with quote

PNY Nvidia geforce 5200 128Mb with vga,dvi and tv out all work with suse9.1, and now 9.2

use twin screens from this card with a dvi-vga adaptor

wyliecoyoteuk, unable login, or retreive password:(
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: