SUSE 9.2 YAST doesn't have the NFS server option.

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

SUSE 9.2 YAST doesn't have the NFS server option.

Postby fxalpha » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi all,
I want to store my media files on my Shuttle XPC, which is running SUSE9.2 from LXF64D, and access them from an Acer 1524WLMi running the Novell Linux Desktop Eval downloaded from Novell.com. I can ssh to the server and do what i want in a terminal. Both machines seem to be running fine.
My problem is, in YAST>Network Services, there isn't an NFS Server option for me to set it up (smbd option isn't there either) - the client is there for NFS and Samba others just not the server.
How do I get these options to appear? Xinetd was disabled on the SUSE server and I can't seem to find out which services to enable to get my NFS. Google hasn't helped so far. It's a clean install done a few hours ago sat by the machine, no patches, updates yet.
Any help is much appreciated,
al
fxalpha

RE: SUSE 9.2 YAST doesn

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:45 pm

It won't appear if you didn't install the NFS server software. A quick look at the suse ftp site shows the nfs server software. Use YAST to install it and (with luck) it sould appear.

Tony

Postby Nigel » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:01 pm

Go into the Software->Install and Remove Software part of YAST. Search on nfs. You need to install the yast2-nfs-server option. It will then appear in the Network Services section.

Hope this helps...
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby fxalpha » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:53 am

Thanks for the quick replies guys. For a mo there I thought you'd solved it. Prob is, in yast it doesn't come up with the server option to install. I've searched on nfs (gives me the client and utils packages). Searching on "server" shows the samba server but not the NFS one....
I have an rcnfsserver in /usr/sbin/ which points to /etc/init.d/nfsserver and there is also rpc.nfsd and the rpc.mountd
Do you reckon maybe somethings went wrong with the install scripts so the package is on there but it can't see it? Shall I try a new install since it's only been up a day? I could it from ftp like tony suggests - what do you reckon?
Thanks again for helping me.
al
fxalpha

Postby fxalpha » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:20 am

Just an update: the rpm isn't on the DVD. The client and tool packages are (searched dvd with "nfs","server" and "yast"). The only nfs-server is the bz2 for cygwin in Magazine/Migration/Cygwin/
Which sort of explains why it wasn't installed properly.
Thanks
al
fxalpha

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:58 am

Booted up Novell Linux Desktop and the situation is the same: yast-samba-server can be installed but no trace of the yast-nfs-server. Am I missing something?
al

Postby Rhakios » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:35 am

Well, it's certainly present on the 9.2 Pro Update DVD:

Code: Select all
pin 0.30 - package info for nfs

------------------------------------------------------------------
*** no rpm named nfs installed

maybe just a typo? what about this:

nfs-utils-1.0.6-113
yast2-nfs-client-2.10.5-2
yast2-nfs-server-2.10.5-2

maybe better restart with another option? grepping anyway ...

*** zgrep nfs /var/lib/pin/ARCHIVES.gz

---> ./CD1/suse/i586/linux_pcnfsd2-1.6-505.i586.rpm
---> ./CD1/suse/i586/nfs-server-2.2beta51-208.i586.rpm
---> ./CD1/suse/i586/nfs-utils-1.0.6-113.i586.rpm
---> ./CD1/suse/i586/te_nfs-2.0.2-198.i586.rpm
---> ./CD1/suse/noarch/yast2-nfs-client-2.10.5-2.noarch.rpm
---> ./CD1/suse/noarch/yast2-nfs-server-2.10.5-2.noarch.rpm
---> ./CD1/suse/x86_64/linux_pcnfsd2-1.6-505.x86_64.rpm
---> ./CD1/suse/x86_64/nfs-server-2.2beta51-208.x86_64.rpm
---> ./CD1/suse/x86_64/nfs-utils-1.0.6-113.x86_64.rpm
---> ./CD1/suse/x86_64/te_nfs-2.0.2-198.x86_64.rpm
---> ./CD2/suse/src/linux_pcnfsd2-1.6-505.src.rpm
---> ./CD2/suse/src/nfs-server-2.2beta51-208.src.rpm
---> ./CD2/suse/src/nfs-utils-1.0.6-113.src.rpm
---> ./CD2/suse/src/yast2-nfs-client-2.10.5-2.src.rpm
---> ./CD2/suse/src/yast2-nfs-server-2.10.5-2.src.rpm

Oh yes, and before you say anything about that being CDs and not the DVD, this is just the way the ARCHIVES.gz file divides things up.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby fxalpha » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:29 am

Thanks for helping Rhakios.
I don't have an update DVD, I have the one from LXF64, which I believe is the ftp download version. And try as I have, I can't find the file /anywhere/ on the disc.
Do you have a copy of the dvd off the mag?
Not sure now whether I'm being stupid or maybe there is actually a file missing.
Please could you tell me what command you gave to produce your list? I had a go with the zgrep... in your code but /var/lib/pin/ is emtpy. Any more suggestions are much appreciated.
al
fxalpha

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Downloaded yast2-nfs-server-2.10.5-2.1.noarch.rpm from a mirror and I can now export file systems! Thanks for your ideas guys, I still have no sign of the package on the disc. If someone has the DVD off the mag and could check for me I'd be very grateful. Now for ndiswrapper,bluetooth, remote admin........:)
btw NLD9 is nice to use. Looks good too, running KDE atm.
Thanks again,
al

Postby nelz » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:06 pm

The nfs server package was not included on the DVD on which LXFDVD64 was based.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:26 pm

Further information on pin, the first time you run pin it will ask you to insert your installation medium, it will then work thereafter, e.g. doing pin nfs gives you the output above (to start with) assuming the same installation medium.
pin is quite a useful tool for quick package enquiries in SuSE, sadly it is rather under used due to the fact that few people like to look at manuals. For more info (though not a great deal), see man pin.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby andychannelle » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:08 pm

Could you add the SUSE FTP server, or its UK mirror as a YaST source?

http://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/ftp.suse.com/i386/9.2/

AndyC
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby fxalpha » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:12 am

Thanks for the replies :)
I'm glad I wasn't imagining the absence of that file. I'm not going crazy. Is there a reason that file wasn't included?
I'll have a look at pin, is it worth me getting to know it, given I've got YAST and YOU?
Adding that mirror now.
Thanks again for all your replies, think we can mark this one solved. Got some other issues but I haven't had a proper go at them myself yet.
al
fxalpha

Postby Rhakios » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:29 am

As I said above, pin is good for a quick look. As I always keep a console open I find it quicker to type pin packagename than to select YaST, give the root password, select Install/Remove software, type the packagename into the serch box and hit enter. And of course one can use YaST to install software from the command line, as in

su -c "yast -i packagename"

(using su to get root privileges, of course).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: SUSE 9.2 YAST doesn

Postby nelz » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:24 am

fxalpha wrote:I'm glad I wasn't imagining the absence of that file. I'm not going crazy. Is there a reason that file wasn't included?

You'll have to ask SUSE about that. It certainly was for space reasons, the original SUSE DVD image was a touch over 3GB.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!