Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help me to install Linux
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty
I will go to the Ubuntu website and try first. You said the list doesn't show anything as to the ext2 partition.
I have downloaded a Windows freeware program called Everest to check my system. The output is from that program.

You know Windows doesn't show those Linux partitons.

I know the installer is capable of partitoning.
The question is to get a working Linux system to my computer. Are you satisfied with Ubuntu?

I worked almost 2 years with Mandrake 10.0. It was an excellent product. The computer crashed and everything went to hell. I lost everything. Those loses can't buy for money.

I must learn to live this way. I haven't done back up work for a nearly a year. Because I don't have time. I go to school and train 3 times a week a at a gym. Those loses are enormous. As I said, I must learn to live with this.

I did a lot of work with scripting language. Just to learn the scripting language, I was working with it when things went to hell.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only used Ubuntu briefly myself, theres nothing wrong with it, I just happen to prefer portage to apt-get. In terms of the partitioning I have to admit I didnt realise you used a windows based program to get that output. Was quite obvious really I dont know why I didnt make the connection Embarassed
In terms of your backup needs, if you have a home network, or even a spare PCthat you can network to your main one, you could do what I do. I have a cron Job running that every 2 nights backs up my home directory to a network share.
Mandrake 10.0 was indeed a pretty good distribution, when i originally started using Linux Mandrake is what i started on, although it was far earlier than version 10.0.
Whether Ubuntu will be good for you is dependant on how you like your systems to be, as I say I prefer portage to apt-get, so I preferred Gentoo, but then I do like to be in control so perhaps its the installation method that attracted me to Gentoo. The good thing about Ubuntu is that you get a live CD as well, so it means you cna put that in first and check you like it. Not knowing more about your needs I dont know which distro to recommend, although if you are interested in SUSE then the boxed version is worth buying. It may be that you can get a 64-bit version of SuSE OSS on the net, although I would guess its quite well hidden.
Gorky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies

I have already asked them to ship Ubuntu. A friend of mine told me Kubuntu
is the best one. My friend said Ubuntu lacks KDE interface. It has the GNOME interface.

I have never used GNOME. Is it correct that Ubuntu lacks KDE?

I don't have an extra computer or a network at home. I will get an extra computer soon.

What is portage? I think Apt-get is a downloading tool. I am not sure.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Ubuntu lacks gnome, one of the reasons I didnt like it I guess. Yes apt-get is a dwonlaoding program in effect. If you wnat aprogram then you can run from the command line

apt-get [program]

although you do have to do other things from time to time. Portage is very similar in that to install a program you type

emerge [program]

and it will downlaod and isntall the ebuild for you. Kubuntu is a better idea if you are certain that you want KDE, it may even be possible to put KDE onto an ordinary ubuntu install, I have absolutely no idea on that one. theoretically it is but it may take a bit of work. Another thing you could do for backup is use an exteranl hard drive and use a Cron job do backup to that, you could even get it to burn a CD for you, but you would have to remember to put a disc in the burner first.
The best way for backup I have found is simply to create a backup as soon as you edit/create anything. Its a bit of a pain at first but once you get into the routine its quite useful.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get KDE in Ubuntu my making sure the Universe repositories are uncommented in /etc/apt/sources.list, and then entering:

Code:
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

M
Gorky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-saunders

Is it very easy to install the KDE on Ubuntu?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do what M-Saunders says, it is as easy as the command he gives - I have done the same with Ubuntu on a laptop.
Gorky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am encouraged by the comments made by ollie and started downloading
SuSE Linux 10.0 Evaluation version for 64 bit computers.

It is over 3GB. I must keep my computer on for about 48 hours to complete
the download. It is going on.

I will not shut down the computer until it completes the download. Ollie
suggested the Novell site.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: