Is there a distro with chromium as default browser like Lubu

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Is there a distro with chromium as default browser like Lubu

Postby Alex01UK » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:39 pm

See Firefox is the default browser i want to down a 32 bit 'buntu with Chromium as the default browser, like Lubuntu used to be. Gnome 3 prefered. Any suggestions for a 32bit iso for my spare 16gig hard drive. Am looking for a personal recomendation

tia from Alex.
Chrome OS: ASUS C300 13.3" Chromebook - Intel® Celeron® Processor N2830 32GB
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Unicorn Studio 14.1o, 32bit Mint 17.1 MATE

''I am what I am, because, we are, what we are; I thought Yogi Bear invented television.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:29 pm

What the the default matter? You can install Chromium and uninstall Firefox on any distro. Defaults are merely a convenient starting point.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Alex01UK » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:05 pm

nelz wrote:What the the default matter? You can install Chromium and uninstall Firefox on any distro. Defaults are merely a convenient starting point.

Sorry, my bad. I meant I'd like to run Google Chromium browser on a live iso 32 bit for when supporting customers with older machines. Am giving Linux Mint 17 32 bit MATE a try. Never tried MATE yet.

''I am what I am, because, we are, what we are; I thought Yogi Bear invented television.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:15 am

Making a live iso is not that hard Alex 'Buntu has an app for creating custom live iso's so does fedora and IIRC so does SUSE so you could put together one with all the utilities and goodies for support on a usb key or CD/DVD for the real oldies that don't boot from usb or if you are real lazy have a look at Knoppix has all the utilities and choice of desktops if you go the DVD route ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:33 am

If you look as a distro's listing on Distrowatch, it lists the included software, with versions, although it doesn't appear to differentiate between Chromium and Chrome.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Alex01UK » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:21 pm

lok1950 wrote:Making a live iso is not that hard Alex 'Buntu has an app for creating custom live iso's so does fedora and IIRC so does SUSE so you could put together one with all the utilities and goodies for support on a usb key or CD/DVD for the real oldies that don't boot from usb or if you are real lazy have a look at Knoppix has all the utilities and choice of desktops if you go the DVD route ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)

Hi there. I'm going to give the Knoppix dvd a go. So I download the dvd.iso which is the right one I think; it's 3.8 gig. How do I create a bootable usb stick from the iso? Will the ubuntu Create Startup Disk option work or does that have to be a 'buntu iso? It worked with Linux Mint 17 Mate. Very impressed with Mate actually.....

Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:13 pm

Use isohybrid (part of the syslinux package) to convert hte ISO to a hybrid then copy it with dd.

Code: Select all
isohybrid dvd.iso
dd if=dvd.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4k

Make sure you use the right device for of, or you could trash your hard drive. You use the whole disk, not a partition.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!