Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a distro with chromium as default browser like Lubu

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Is there a distro with chromium as default browser like Lubu Reply with quote

See Firefox is the default browser i want to down a 32 bit 'buntu with Chromium as the default browser, like Lubuntu used to be. Gnome 3 prefered. Any suggestions for a 32bit iso for my spare 16gig hard drive. Am looking for a personal recomendation

tia from Alex.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the the default matter? You can install Chromium and uninstall Firefox on any distro. Defaults are merely a convenient starting point.
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
What the the default matter? You can install Chromium and uninstall Firefox on any distro. Defaults are merely a convenient starting point.

Sorry, my bad. I meant I'd like to run Google Chromium browser on a live iso 32 bit for when supporting customers with older machines. Am giving Linux Mint 17 32 bit MATE a try. Never tried MATE yet.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a live iso is not that hard Alex 'Buntu has an app for creating custom live iso's so does fedora and IIRC so does SUSE so you could put together one with all the utilities and goodies for support on a usb key or CD/DVD for the real oldies that don't boot from usb or if you are real lazy have a look at Knoppix has all the utilities and choice of desktops if you go the DVD route Wink

Enjoy the Choice Smile
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look as a distro's listing on Distrowatch, it lists the included software, with versions, although it doesn't appear to differentiate between Chromium and Chrome.
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lok1950 wrote:
Making a live iso is not that hard Alex 'Buntu has an app for creating custom live iso's so does fedora and IIRC so does SUSE so you could put together one with all the utilities and goodies for support on a usb key or CD/DVD for the real oldies that don't boot from usb or if you are real lazy have a look at Knoppix has all the utilities and choice of desktops if you go the DVD route Wink

Enjoy the Choice Smile

Hi there. I'm going to give the Knoppix dvd a go. So I download the dvd.iso which is the right one I think; it's 3.8 gig. How do I create a bootable usb stick from the iso? Will the ubuntu Create Startup Disk option work or does that have to be a 'buntu iso? It worked with Linux Mint 17 Mate. Very impressed with Mate actually.....

nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use isohybrid (part of the syslinux package) to convert hte ISO to a hybrid then copy it with dd.

Code:
isohybrid dvd.iso
dd if=dvd.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4k

Make sure you use the right device for of, or you could trash your hard drive. You use the whole disk, not a partition.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: