Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IP Forwarding issue - I guess -

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saburo

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: IP Forwarding issue - I guess - Reply with quote

Hello all, I am new here and not really a networking / system expert (googleing up my way to that Smile ).

I am stuck on something I believe must be trivial, but not making much progress in the last two days, so decided to ask here.

This is what I am trying to achieve :

The device D (a PLC) has a static IP address in a remote network, it is reached by a device E on the same subnet and by a BeagleBone (Ubuntu) C which will get a DHCP address from the router.
C also has a OpenVPN client and connects to a OpenVPN server B.
A is a windows client accessing remotely (remote assistance) D (via C, this is my idea at least) through the OpenVPN (server is configured to allow client-to-client connections).

So I created a test scenario

In this scenario the VPN server is on the C machine (just for simplification), it has IP forwarding enabled and can Ping D (thanks to the static route)
the configuration in D is just for testing purpose, it will not be needed in real life, obviously I cannot have a vpn client on D because it does not have a real operating system.

The client A can ping C via the VPN, but cannot ping D.
I added a static route and checked with tracert 10.8.1.10 (D) that the first hop is correctly the C machine (10.8.0.1).

I feel the issue is on the forwarding not happening in C and I see 3 possible issues/ solutions
1) iptables (tried a few settings found in the net.. did not do anything)
2) should I add some kind of routing on the VPN server config file? or in the vpn client on B?
3) should I setup a bridge with brctl? I tried, but lost immediately all network connections :/

any help appreciated!
Thanks!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: