Grub error on installing mint 16

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Grub error on installing mint 16

Postby trevorw » Wed May 07, 2014 10:16 am

I recently installed mint 16 from the LXF184 disc.It was installed in a separate partition with windows XP in the other partition.During installation the message Grub did not install correctly, or something similar came up.The installation finished and everything seemed to be ok.However i have found that the file manager and the software manager do not work correctly.As I am new to Linux is there an easy way to correct the Grub installation or any easy way to remove Mint 16 altogether so that I can reinstall it?
trevorw

Postby nelz » Wed May 07, 2014 10:42 am

A GRUB error would not cause problems with the file manager. If the system is booting, GRUB has done its job. It is not uncommon for installers to report minor issues with installing GRUB when it is actually installed and working, which appears to be the case here.

Can you post the error messages or specific problems you have with the file manager and software manager? "do not work correctly" could mean anything :(

If you need to reinstall, just run the installer from the DVD again and when it asks where you want to install, replacing your existing Mint system should be one of the options.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby trevorw » Wed May 07, 2014 12:52 pm

I think i have solved the file manager problem.The problem with the software manager is that certain applications such as googleearth and picasa will not select.After that none of the other applications will select either. I then have to restart the computer before any of them can be selected.
trevorw

Return to Help!