Does Zinio Subscription count for Disc Access?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Does Zinio Subscription count for Disc Access?

Postby sprocket888 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 am

I have purchased two recent issues through Zinio as I am a fan of electronic subscriptions. I noticed though that I do not have access to the disc media with these purchases. I was considering subscribing for a longer period of time but I would like to know if that subscription counts to get the online access to the disc media as well as the archives? I have purchased print versions as well in the past and I am a big fan of the discs that get packaged with the mag. Sorry it this question has already been asked, I did a really quick search and did not turn anything up.
sprocket888

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:02 am

Hi there,

Currently, access to the disc ISO torrents is only available to those who take out printed edition subscriptions.

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Is this, or indeed access to the pdfs, likely to change? I'm considering a Zinio sub myself, having finally got a tablet that's acceptable for more than casual reading.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby katystar » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:00 am

Unfortunately the Zinio subscription is a service that is operated outside of Future Publishing so we do not have any access to those subscribers in order to allow them access to the subs only area of the LXF website. This is something we hope in time to be able to do but not possible at the moment.

Regards,
Katy
Katy Robinson
Direct Marketing Product Manager
Linux Format magazine
katystar

Postby Rhakios » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Okay, thanks. It looks like I'll be sticking with paper for a while yet then.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Well you can get the paper, chuck it in the recycling and download the pdf :D
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:54 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:Well you can get the paper, chuck it in the recycling and download the pdf :D

And I could ditch the DVD and download the iso...

Something wrong with this sort of thinking.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby bengan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Subscription by Zino must provide access to the archives in order to fully be able to enjoy the entire magazine. Several articles refer to DVD for further reading.
bengan

Postby shelmed » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 pm

katystar wrote:Unfortunately so we do not have any access to those subscribers in order to allow them access to the subs only area of the LXF website. This is something we hope in time to be able to do but not possible at the moment.

Regards,
Katy

Well it's been over 2yrs now, any news for us Zinio subscribers? Just took out a Zinio sub and disappointed to find no access to the subscribers section of the LXF website
shelmed

Postby fritzm » Thu May 01, 2014 10:33 pm

The electronic subscription options are totally unsatisfactory. I live in South Africa and found the paper sub which I've had for many years had become too expensive. My requirements are :
a. Must be able to read on Windows and Android.
b. Strongly prefer to be able to read offline.
c. A decent reader app, i.e. not reading in a browser.

The options are :
a. Apple app store : I didn't consider this because I refuse to install Apple apps on my machines due to their invasive nature and tendency to want to take over everything; and the difficulty of really getting rid of them once they are on the machine.

b. Google Play : sorry this magazine is not available on Google play in your country.

c. Kindle : This magazine is only available for an actual Kindle, you can't use the Kindle app on a PC or Android machine.

d. Nook : I didn't investigate this one in detail.

e. Zinio : in the end I went for Zinio; this means I can only read in my browser, which is far from ideal (can't read offline and lacks basic facilities such as remembering my place). Also LXF doesn't know I have the sub, so I can't get at the subscribers' area or DVD and I still get regular emails asking me to subscribe.

All in all, an unsatisfactory experience. Of course, if my main reading machine had been running Linux, the only option would have been to read in a browser which is pathetic. I realise that this is not the fault of the people at LXF, but rather the publishers, but they really need to get their heads out of the sand and realise that there is a difference between LXF readers and crafters/gardeners/etc.

Fritz Meissner
fritzm

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun May 04, 2014 7:55 am

Magazine publishing in general is still dragging its feet.
Quite embarrasing for Tech type mags really.
I took out a sub to Wired, mainly because there was "FREE digital Subscription included" in big red letters on the ad.
Apparently only Apple users can access digital subscriptions.
Cancelled it.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs