Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot Time + Random Rants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Boot Time + Random Rants Reply with quote

I've been off lxf for a couple of weeks, my downfall has been purchasing a Windows based Game for the first time in 12mths, the choice was Battlefield 2, and I've lost 3 weeks of my life Smile It's really good, except for a few stability issues.

Basically I've not used WinXP for 12mths, not played any games, so after buying bf2 I booted xp and patched everything up.

Slackware boots to login in 40 seconds (including loading sendmail, clamav, squid, dansguardian, postgresql, snort etc)
Then to get to KDE where the cpu as dropped to <=3% is another 31 seconds, using 168MB RAM
But I had a look at bootchart, and its pretty good, gives an easy to see view of your systems boot. So I was thinking of setting up ldconfig as a cron job, and not have it occur at boot time.

WinXP is running, well nothing really (ms office + norton firewall + av) takes 36 seconds to boot to login then 126 seconds to get the desktop loaded, using 311MB RAM.

Has anyone else not used xp for a while then gone back to it? For me it was very odd.

With Slackware, I've been using kaffeine to view dvb, record and watch tv at the same time. Click on an app and it loads in a second.

I tried in Winxp, watching and recording tv, it made a crappy stuttery recording, apps took an age to load (eg Outlook 2003), IE crashed a few times, as did windows explorer. The whole setup seemed really flaky (not to mention no tabbed file browsing grrr).
But because I hadn't used it for so long, I'd totally forgotten what it was like, which was not good. One other thing I noticed, in WinXP, the hard drive makes a load more noise when opening, saving, moving large files, I can hear it whirring and clicking away quite clearly.
In Slackware, when doing the same things (700MB wav's, 2GB mpg) it doesn't seem to be any slower and makes no noise at all.

Now granted, this is not at all scientific, and it could be my setup which is dodgy, but its all patched, including bios, via drivers, nvidia drivers, norton updates, xp updates, office updates etc Defragged the ntfs partition (50% free).
But It was just far more flaky than Im used to.

Surfice to say, that once I'd finished being killed enough times I booted back to Slack....ahhh home again Smile

On another note, I've also been flurting with Suse 10 since it arrived on the 28th, its ok, as long as you dont want to be running software which is bang up to date. I thought it was supposed to be automated, but when I installed privoxy the intitd script was pointing to the wrong locations so it wouldnt start, but apart from that, its pretty good. I've got a luv hate relationship with Suse, it was my first distro (7.0), but with each version Ive bought after a while I get annoyed because it can be difficult to install software not on the main repositories.

Also, slightly dissapointed to find it just had the Micky Mouse Manual, which even to newb's is a bit light on detail in places. Apparantly the admin manual is part of the distro as a .pdf. But sometimes its nice to have a book to look through away from the machine. But it was 15-20 quid cheaper than usual, so can't complain too much about that.
Also, why have they added that Armour thingy in YAST in such a cobbled together way (cant remember exactly what its called). But theres a bunch of options just sitting there, very ugly and last minute looking.
Apart from that though, I still prefer it to any other kde + rpm based distro.

jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Boot Time + Random Rants Reply with quote

>>
Has anyone else not used xp for a while then gone back to it? For me it was very odd.
>>

(grin, hehe)

Howdy nordle,

Is "bootchart" specific to kde ?. It's nice to see a clear readable thing like that. Google will likely have it listed somewhere, but as your using it i though i might ask anyway. Better from the horses mouth so to speak Smile

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Boot Time + Random Rants Reply with quote

It doesn't need KDE -- just monitors the boot-up process:

http://www.bootchart.org

M
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Boot Time + Random Rants Reply with quote

nordle, I see you're running ldconfig during the boot process; try commenting that out (in /etc/rc.d/rc.M) and see how much quicker Slackware boots. (Running ldconfig during boot-up is a waste of time; my guess is that PV put it there to help people of the "perhaps this program might work if I reboot first" mindset and level of experience.)
jdtate101
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Boot Time + Random Rants Reply with quote

Can someone familiar with bootchart have a look at the following trace and make some suggestions to reduce the boot time. The biggest delay seems to be at the start during the reiser initialization???
The server is running:
vmware workstation
samba
apache
name server
sshd
clamav antivirus
squid proxy
mysqld

http://www.bitnexus.co.uk/downloads/bootchart.png

AMD X2 4800+
4GB Corsair TWINX RAM
1.2TB RAID0 SATA2 (3ware RAID)
2 x Seagate 400GB USB2
Dual Layer DVD-RW
Nvidia 7800GT
2 x Viewsonic VP201b TFT
Iomega Rev Internal
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Boot Time + Random Rants Reply with quote

M:
>>
It doesn't need KDE -- just monitors the boot-up process:
>>

thanks ...

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: