Saving to multiple folders

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Saving to multiple folders

Postby dave_try1st » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:04 am

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I am using KeePassX in Mint Petra for all my passwords, so obviously the saved database is totally important. I save to a folder in my home directory, but would also like to sync to Dropbox and Spideroak.

Is it possible to do this automatically so I don't have to manually copy to the relevant folders at the risk of losing an important update.
dave_try1st

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:16 am

Create symlinks to the file in your Dropbox and Spideroak folders.

If all three folders are on the same filesystem, you could use hard links, which are somewhat safer as accidentally deleting the original will not affect the copies.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby dave_try1st » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks for that. So if I understand this, I cd to the Dropbox folder, and make a link ie. ln /keepass_dir/saved_file saved_file and then do the same in the Spideroak folder. Is that right?
dave_try1st

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Exactly.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby dave_try1st » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:59 pm

All sorted, as the Dropbox folder syncs automatically I saved the Keepassx db to there and put a hardlink in the Spideroak folder. Fantastic!

Thanks for the help Nelz, you're doing a brilliant job for us.
dave_try1st

Return to Help!