External usb drive Raspberry Pi

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

External usb drive Raspberry Pi

Postby pk_fox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi all, I have a 750gb Seagate USB drive which is formatted as ext4, when I plug it into any of my Linux boxes it either automounts or shows up in /dev as /dev/sdb or similar, BUT ! when I plug it in to my Raspberry Pi ( I plug it in before I boot it ) it shows up in /dev/ as /dev/sda but there are no /dev/sda1 or sda2 entries so obviously I can't mount it - any ideas ? the drive has about 200gb of flac files on it which I want to share using the Pi. TIA

I get this from dmesg
Code: Select all
108.190853] EXT4-fs (sda): bad block size 16384

And this from fdisk
Code: Select all
Disk /dev/sda: 750.2 GB, 750156374016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders, total 1465149168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0007c34f

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
root@pjkpi:~#
We can't stop here, this is bat country. Hunter S Thompson RIP.
pk_fox
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:04 pm

If that is all you get from fdisk, then it looks as though the problem is that there is no partition table.
I've never configured a HDD that way, and I wonder what the mechanism linux (Not RPi version) uses to get it mounted (the sda and sdb are just local convention for which port it is found on etc)
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:39 pm

What is the output from mount when it is mounted on one of your Linux boxes?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby pk_fox » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:41 pm

nelz wrote:What is the output from mount when it is mounted on one of your Linux boxes?

I've got it somewhere Nelz and will post it if I find it, in my frustration I repartioned and formatted the USB drive from the Pi ( obviously I have backups of the data ) and all is OK now , copying all data back to the USB drive as we speak, will keep you posted, I would really like to know what the problem was though !

P.s. Are you Neil Bothwick ?
pk_fox
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:53 am

Now you've reformatted the drive, I doubt we'll ever know. All I can think of is that the filesystem was created with options not supported on the Pi, but that seems unlikely. Still, as Sherlock Holmes said...

Yes.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby pk_fox » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:08 am

nelz wrote:Now you've reformatted the drive, I doubt we'll ever know. All I can think of is that the filesystem was created with options not supported on the Pi, but that seems unlikely. Still, as Sherlock Holmes said...

Yes.

My impatience got the better of me I'm afraid but there was nothing special about the drive, I formatted it using my Linux Dell Fedora laptop and have been using it for years as a backup for my music, just the usual mkfs -t ext4 type thing, every other Linux box I own ( 2 Debian and a Fedora ) could read it perfectly - weird but I have read that the Pi has a problem with some Seagate drives but there again why does it work now ? Thanks very much for all your help this week.
pk_fox
LXF regular

Return to Help!