How do I reistall the bootloader thing?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

How do I reistall the bootloader thing?

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:00 am

Windows 7 home premium and 5o gigs unused space on hard drive. tried to install, have messed up the bootloader grub thing.

how do i make it boot into windows 7 please? prior to installing ubuntu studio on the available space.

I gues I need to scan for partitions and operatingg system and stuff. erm how do i do that please. it really should not be this difficult.
Chrome OS: ASUS C300 13.3" Chromebook - Intel® Celeron® Processor N2830 32GB
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Unicorn Studio 14.1o, 32bit Mint 17.1 MATE

''I am what I am, because, we are, what we are; I thought Yogi Bear invented television!''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:55 pm

Windows normally overwrites GRUB with its own bootloader on installation. The system should boot straight into Windows.

If you don't have Linux installed currently, you can't install GRUB. Boot from your Windows disc to fix the Windows bootloader, then boot from the Ubuntu disc to install that, which will take care of partitioning and setting up GRUB.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:42 pm

nelz wrote:Windows normally overwrites GRUB with its own bootloader on installation. The system should boot straight into Windows.

If you don't have Linux installed currently, you can't install GRUB. Boot from your Windows disc to fix the Windows bootloader, then boot from the Ubuntu disc to install that, which will take care of partitioning and setting up GRUB.

When I first installed Linux Mint Debian it wiped my windows 7 and backup partition. the win disk i have doesn't seem to want to boot anymore....

''I am what I am, because, we are, what we are; I thought Yogi Bear invented television!''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby arochester » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:44 pm

arochester

Postby nelz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:28 pm

Alex01UK wrote:When I first installed Linux Mint Debian it wiped my windows 7 and backup partition. the win disk i have doesn't seem to want to boot anymore....

LMDE doesn't set up the partitioning automatically, you have to do it yourself. It sounds like you removed an important Windows partition instead of resizing it.

I was referring to booting from your Windows disc, not disk. That is, the install CD/DVD.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Alex01UK » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:57 pm

nelz wrote:Windows normally overwrites GRUB with its own bootloader on installation. The system should boot straight into Windows.

If you don't have Linux ins to talled currently, you can't install GRUB. Boot from your Windows disc to fix the Windows bootloader, then boot from the Ubuntu disc to install that, which will take care of partitioning and setting up GRUB.

When I boot off the Windows dvd it gives me the option to install it on top of itself or in the free space. i don't need to reinstall Windows, I just need to install a link which will do whatever it is called that has to be done when you install a Linux so it gives you the option of Windows 7 or Linux. whch I am using. I've got a 18o gig hard drive with Windows 7 on, a 6o gig backup which is full, and just been increased to 8o gig, and 5o gigs of unallocated space. I did this before and it worked! So, to put 64 bit Ubuntu Stiudio 14.o4 which is what I want to run.

I have the LXF dvd with 64 bit Fedora 2o on which I used to install will give me thee option of runnig windows or Fedora, but I don't want Fedora I want ubuntu studio, so maybe I should direct my enquiries to them? It really shouldn't be this difficult. I could even wait till the release on 17th April, but at mo my only bootable options are a 16 gig hard drive with 64 ubtudio 14.01 but I just want to use my Windows so tu studi do things Even just is there a command that will install it so it boots straight in Windows I don't know; aint got a clue...

Could do the fedora thing, to get a working Windows 7 but then I have the same prob i am having now. Having to remove Fedora so I can install Ubuntu Studio!!!!!!!!! I just wanna make my laptop usable, but why won't my chosen Linux work, seems like I am going round in circles bangng my headagaisnst a brick wall

It's like, if I install any Linux, it will make it have a boot option try Fedora 2o agai nbut that was rubbsh laptop screen was blank and only 1 dsplay on external vga monitor.ion giving the option to boot into Windows 7 or Linux.

Is there a cli command that will scan al my partitions for bootable os's abd installs the boot loader for me?

Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:21 pm

What exactly is the problem? Are you running LMDE or Fedora? If you install a Linux distro it will install GRUB for you and GRUB will scan your system for installed OSes. When you install Ubuntu, tell it to install GRUB to the MBR, this will replace the Fedora GRUB and you should get what you want.

You can also do it by booting from a live CD and running grub-install, but since you want to install a new distro anyway, you may as well let that take care of it.
nelz
Site admin

Postby Marrea » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Alex01UK wrote:When I boot off the Windows dvd it gives me the option to install it on top of itself or in the free space.

The Windows 7 DVD has a Startup Repair process, which you might like to try.

Boot from the DVD and wait while it goes through the initial Windows 7 setup procedure. When it gets to the “Install now” screen, click on “Repair your computer” (bottom left).

The System Recovery Options will try to locate your Windows 7. Fingers crossed it will. Click on “Next”. From the “Choose a recovery tool" screen select “Startup repair”.

Startup Repair will attempt to repair whatever problems it found. (NB If your computer restarts several times during this repair process do not boot from the DVD on any restart.)

Once you see the “Restart your computer to complete the repairs” screen, click the Finish button and with a bit of luck Windows will start.

If this doesn’t work, you can try repairing the master boot record by booting from the DVD again and this time selecting “Command prompt” from the “Choose a recovery tool” screen. Then at the command prompt screen type:

Code: Select all
bootrec /fixmbr

and press enter

followed by
Code: Select all
bootrec /fixboot

and press enter
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Alex01UK » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:38 am

Marrea wrote:
Alex01UK wrote:When I boot off the Windows dvd it gives me the option to install it on top of itself or in the free space.

The Windows 7 DVD has a Startup Repair process, which you might like to try.

Boot from the DVD and wait while it goes through the initial Windows 7 setup procedure. When it gets to the “Install now” screen, click on “Repair your computer” (bottom left).

no repair option shown. fixed now increased my C: partition by 2o gigs and put Fedora on Gnome 4.o Alpha zero latency kernal. alas, we can dream off the LXF dvd last month

Alex01UK
LXF regular

Return to Help!