Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what drives can i put in my server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: what drives can i put in my server Reply with quote

Hi all, Ive just bought a HP Proliant ML330 G6 server ( used ) which has two 330gb SAS drives configured as one logical drive which I believe to be RAID 0 ( the drive shows ~ 248 GB available ) as you can probably gather I am seriously out of my depth here, my question is what drives can I add to this ( I want to stay with SAS drives ) ? Do I have to to use HP drives or are there compatible ones I can add ? I believe mine are 15k spin speed and dual port, if this is an amateurish question I apologise Wink

Many thanks
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_attached_SCSI Smile

Keep in mind that:

1) SAS drives are considerably more expensive then SATA drives
    2) SATA drives can be used in a SAS environment, at the expense of lower performance
    3) the increased performance of SAS over SATA is only measurable under heavy load (>10k connections per second, or thereabouts Rolling Eyes )
    4) a SAS-equipped server isn't designed for mundane backup jobs, instead it's intended to do those heavy loads efficiently
    5) your 2 SAS drives are probably RAID 1 (mirroring) and 330GB is plenty for the OS and data needed in the environment it's designed for
    6) SAS servers generally use enterprise-grade commercial file systems like ZFS. ZFS support for Linux is not yet complete and its workings do require a fair bit of knowledge on how file systems work.
    7) there's a fair chance your SAS server has a BSD or other Unix OS installed Wink

HTH!
pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Master wrote:
Start reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_attached_SCSI Smile

Keep in mind that:

1) SAS drives are considerably more expensive then SATA drives
    2) SATA drives can be used in a SAS environment, at the expense of lower performance
    3) the increased performance of SAS over SATA is only measurable under heavy load (>10k connections per second, or thereabouts Rolling Eyes )
    4) a SAS-equipped server isn't designed for mundane backup jobs, instead it's intended to do those heavy loads efficiently
    5) your 2 SAS drives are probably RAID 1 (mirroring) and 330GB is plenty for the OS and data needed in the environment it's designed for
    6) SAS servers generally use enterprise-grade commercial file systems like ZFS. ZFS support for Linux is not yet complete and its workings do require a fair bit of knowledge on how file systems work.
    7) there's a fair chance your SAS server has a BSD or other Unix OS installed Wink

HTH!

Hello and thanks for your time, this server is for my personal use so the > 10k users is not an issue, will do some more reading before I decide on the best route as I have never even configured a RAID array before , I do have four 250gb Sata drives in an old Nas box I could use , what RAID configuration would be best with four drives , I'm a software developer by day and the server will only be used to host dev Web sites and databases if I'm working at home. Many thanks
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using it for work, a RAID5 with hot-spare would be the best option. This'll give you 500GB storage, but redundant: if a disk fails (it will, eventually) you still have your data. Setting up a RAID manually (by editing files) is not for the faint-hearted, so I'd suggest Webmin, especially as you're a novice in server-admin.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with some HP servers are the drive caddies.
If they have the proprietary HP ones, they are not easy to source without a drive.

nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother with hot spares for personal use. Either use a 4 disk RAID5, which gives 750GB and survives a single disk failure, or use RAID6 to give 500GB that would survive two failures.

The trouble with hot spares is that you still have to manually switch over, so a second failure before you can switch for the first would still kill your data.
pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Master wrote:
If you're using it for work, a RAID5 with hot-spare would be the best option. This'll give you 500GB storage, but redundant: if a disk fails (it will, eventually) you still have your data. Setting up a RAID manually (by editing files) is not for the faint-hearted, so I'd suggest Webmin, especially as you're a novice in server-admin.

OK thanks
pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
The biggest problem with some HP servers are the drive caddies.
If they have the proprietary HP ones, they are not easy to source without a drive.

Oh blimey another complication Wink so I need drives "and" caddies ?
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on the server, look at the HP manuals, available on their website.

pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
I wouldn't bother with hot spares for personal use. Either use a 4 disk RAID5, which gives 750GB and survives a single disk failure, or use RAID6 to give 500GB that would survive two failures.

The trouble with hot spares is that you still have to manually switch over, so a second failure before you can switch for the first would still kill your data.

Thanks Nelz, I now have to research on how to configure RAID , my server has a web management tool installed but obviously the machine has to be up and running to use it, what I'm nervous about is if I physically stick another two drives in it and it doesn't boot I'm stuffed. Ah well...
pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
depends on the server, look at the HP manuals, available on their website.

OK I will thanks and keep the help line open.
pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, I've been offered some HP drives at a good price with a model number of ST3300655SS they are the same capacity as mine 300gb but mine are model number ST3300657SS - I googled and can't find out if they're compatible or not - any ideas ?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This US supplier offers them: http://partsforservers.com/product/300gb-15k-sas-3-5-3/ST3300655SS/ They list them explicitly as HP SAS disks with 15k RPM, so it's most likely they are compatible with your server.
pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Master wrote:
This US supplier offers them: http://partsforservers.com/product/300gb-15k-sas-3-5-3/ST3300655SS/ They list them explicitly as HP SAS disks with 15k RPM, so it's most likely they are compatible with your server.

Ok thank you very much I'll go for them
pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Master wrote:

Apparently the 655SS are single port and the 657SS dual - does that matter ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: