Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LXF183 DVD Ubuntu 13.10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petlon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: LXF183 DVD Ubuntu 13.10 Reply with quote

Ermm... am I the only one? Running Ubuntu 13.10 live from DVD183 comes up with the desktop display but disables my keyboard and mouse - so somewhat non productive! Computer is completely locked up so only way to turn it off is to remove mains supply from computer as even a hard reset does nothing. javascript:emoticon('Crying or Very sad')

Is my DVD faulty or is there some other feature I'm missing? The other distros of Mageia 4 and OpenSUSE 13.1 work fine on my Dell E521 desktop machine. Nelz please advise.
TIA
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen that before. I seems like the desktop is crashing. Could you try booting without the splash screen, press e on the GRUB menu item, remove the word splash and press F10 to continue booting.

I doubt the DVD is faulty, but you can check easily enough, open a terminal and run

Code:
sh /path/to/dvd/media-check.sh

If there are any errors on the disc, it will let you know.
restless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have the exact same problem. I searched on the way to work and found this topic...

I will try this when I get home
formatix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu not seeing laptop pointer in native or VBOX here, keyboard ok but getting a terminal window and trying modprobes no joy, and can Ctl-F2 for another console and exit that way.

Mageia 1st choice hangs leaving the nice faux-wood surround, in native and VBOX. Using the ISO alone in VBOX, omitting the initrd, solves that.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be missing modules from an updated kernel, once installed and further updated the problem should go away. You could try connecting the keyboard/mouse to a different USB port as they sometimes use different chipsets, but that won't help with a laptop. I still can't get it to break on anything, I'll see if the wife's Dell laptop from work is able to boot from DVDs when she gets home.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: