LXF183 DVD Ubuntu 13.10

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF183 DVD Ubuntu 13.10

Postby petlon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Ermm... am I the only one? Running Ubuntu 13.10 live from DVD183 comes up with the desktop display but disables my keyboard and mouse - so somewhat non productive! Computer is completely locked up so only way to turn it off is to remove mains supply from computer as even a hard reset does nothing. javascript:emoticon(':cry:')

Is my DVD faulty or is there some other feature I'm missing? The other distros of Mageia 4 and OpenSUSE 13.1 work fine on my Dell E521 desktop machine. Nelz please advise.
TIA
petlon

Postby nelz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:39 am

I've not seen that before. I seems like the desktop is crashing. Could you try booting without the splash screen, press e on the GRUB menu item, remove the word splash and press F10 to continue booting.

I doubt the DVD is faulty, but you can check easily enough, open a terminal and run

Code: Select all
sh /path/to/dvd/media-check.sh

If there are any errors on the disc, it will let you know.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby restless » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi I have the exact same problem. I searched on the way to work and found this topic...

I will try this when I get home
restless

Postby formatix » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:39 am

Ubuntu not seeing laptop pointer in native or VBOX here, keyboard ok but getting a terminal window and trying modprobes no joy, and can Ctl-F2 for another console and exit that way.

Mageia 1st choice hangs leaving the nice faux-wood surround, in native and VBOX. Using the ISO alone in VBOX, omitting the initrd, solves that.
formatix

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:55 am

It appears to be missing modules from an updated kernel, once installed and further updated the problem should go away. You could try connecting the keyboard/mouse to a different USB port as they sometimes use different chipsets, but that won't help with a laptop. I still can't get it to break on anything, I'll see if the wife's Dell laptop from work is able to boot from DVDs when she gets home.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs