Ubuntu12.04 problem

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ubuntu12.04 problem

Postby catgate » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:00 pm

In order to get rid of what ever was causing my problem with “pop-ups”, Adfly, and one or two other dubious quirks, I bought a new HD and some new RAM. I then copied the non-system files from the existing HD to an external HD.
I downloaded a new installation disk of 12.04, following which I swapped over the Hard Drives and the RAM and reinstalled a new 12.04.
After downloading all the updates I copied all the non-system files back on to the new HD.
The new set up so far seems to be a success apart from two things :-
1) the printer will not print/scan although it will copy
2) all the files are arranged haphazardly i.e. not in alphabetical order (though there may be Ubuntu method in this madness)
I have downloaded new Epson drivers for the printer but they seem not to have helped the printing problem.
If anyone has any ideas on these matters I should be overjoyed to receive them,Please.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Re: Ubuntu12.04 problem

Postby catgate » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:30 am

catgate wrote: :-

1) the printer will not print/scan although it will copy
2) all the files are arranged haphazardly i.e. not in alphabetical order (though there may be Ubuntu method in this madness)

If anyone has any ideas on these matters I should be overjoyed to receive them,Please.

I have corrected 2) but the printer problem still remains.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Delving further I have found that /run/cups/printcap leads to :-

# This file was automatically generated by cupsd from the
# /etc/cups/printers.conf file. All changes to this file
# will be lost.
XP-312-313-315-Series|XP-312-313-315-Series:rm=catgate-desktop:rp=XP-312-313-315-Series:

However access to /etc/cups/printers.conf was not possible.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:34 pm

In your attempts to access /etc/cups/printers.conf did you try using sudo.It may also be that your user account needs to added to both printer and scanner groups they may be available only to the root user.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:26 pm

lok1950 wrote:In your attempts to access /etc/cups/printers.conf did you try using sudo.It may also be that your user account needs to added to both printer and scanner groups they may be available only to the root user.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Thanks for the reply lok1950.
The answer is no I didn't. I did not think it would be necessary, because I have never had to do much poking about "round the back" in the past.
I suppose I shall have to come to terms with the more esoteric side of Ubuntu....I do hate all that magic conjuring.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:48 pm

Well after a lot of messing about (including downloading and installing drivers again...twice) I am left with the inescapable fact that I have yet another duff printer.
I wonder if I should kick Epson into touch and try Canon again.
The last Canon I had about twelve years ago had a built in scam. After a the requisite number of pages had been printed it stopped working and a message said that the "waste ink container" was full and the machine should be taken to a Canon dealer for servicing.
Are they still doing this??
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:10 pm

the following page says this printer works perfectly under Linux https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Ep ... 315_Series

I have to say that both my last two printers have been Epson; the first worked perfectly until a power surge killed it, my router and a computer, the present one is the XP-205 and works beautifully with absolutely no tinkering whatsoever :D
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby catgate » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:41 pm

towy71 wrote:the following page says this printer works perfectly under Linux https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Ep ... 315_Series

I have to say that both my last two printers have been Epson; the first worked perfectly until a power surge killed it, my router and a computer, the present one is the XP-205 and works beautifully with absolutely no tinkering whatsoever :D

Thanks for that towy71.
This one worked fine until it decided it did not want to print.
I have another Epson (a fairly long in the tooth Stylus Photo R200) hitched up to my other older computer and that just keeps going.
Just out of interest I downloaded the Epson Driver for the XP-312-313-315 on to the older machine and hooked the XP-315 printer up to it. It continued to display its disinterest in printing. This seems to indicate to me that the hardware is at fault rather than the software.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:52 pm

So this morning I tooketh me off to Goole, from whence cameth my toublesome printer.
I sayeth unto the chandler "This cometh not up to expectation and verily it dispayeth not its full function after but four months of usage"
Whereupon did the chandler express remorse and, after surveying the stocks for a replacement, did say not one did he have to hand and several long days and more would be the obtaining of one of the identical ilk, if at all it were possible.
Where upon a note of five Englyshe Pound in value changeth hands in exchange for a new Epson WF-2510.
It hath upon it and within it manifold utilities which are called Wi-Fi and Fax and the like, which are but more things to go wrong, but we men of the old world abhor such fripperies and so they should not be the root of too much sleep loss.
I just pray that amongst these manifold utilities there lieth not a self destruct time capsule.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:00 pm

Looks like a nice printer, and I see that if you only want to print, then it's fully supported with the OpenPrinting drivers. Doesn't work with XSane for scanning though, there you'll need those pesky Epson drivers (or the rather wonderful Hamrick scanner software, but as that costs money, you probably won't be interested).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby catgate » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:55 pm

Rhakios wrote:Looks like a nice printer, and I see that if you only want to print, then it's fully supported with the OpenPrinting drivers. Doesn't work with XSane for scanning though, there you'll need those pesky Epson drivers (or the rather wonderful Hamrick scanner software, but as that costs money, you probably won't be interested).

Thanks for the reply Rhakios.

"Doesn't work with XSane for scanning though"
...so I have found out.
My CPU is an Intel Celeron G550 with 64 bit Instruction Set. Which of the following do you think I should try?

iscan_2.29.3-1~usb0.1.ltdl3_amd64.deb
395.21 KB

iscan_2.29.3-1~usb0.1.ltdl3_i386.deb
385.07 KB

iscan_2.29.3-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb
398.88 KB

iscan_2.29.3-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb
382.21 KB

It's all a far cry from my old Sinclair ZX!!
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:47 pm

It doesn't depend on your hardware, it depends on which version of Linux you're running and whether you've installed the 32 bit or 64 bit version of it.

Edit: looking at your previous posts it appears you have Ubuntu 12.04 installed, (that's one of the debs then) so have you installed the 32 bit or 64 bit version?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby catgate » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:55 am

Rhakios wrote:It doesn't depend on your hardware, it depends on which version of Linux you're running and whether you've installed the 32 bit or 64 bit version of it.

Edit: looking at your previous posts it appears you have Ubuntu 12.04 installed, (that's one of the debs then) so have you installed the 32 bit or 64 bit version?

Thanks Rhakios.
System tools - System setting - Details says "OS type 32 bit" .
(That is no surprise because I have never downloaded a 64 bit version. In fact until I went poking about yesterday I had forgotten that I had replaced the original 32 CPU, about eighteen months ago, with the current one which was passed onto me by a friend.)

So I presume one of the following is prime suspect?

iscan_2.29.3-1~usb0.1.ltdl3_i386.deb
385.07 KB

iscan_2.29.3-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb
382.21 KB

"Which ?" is the question.(and why?)
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:16 pm

You know, we've been here before haven't we? There's that FAQ link at the bottom of the download page. I seem to recall you didn't spot it last time.
Anyway, to spare you the agony it's the iscan_2.29.3-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb one...
... and don't forget the iscan-data_1.26.0-1_all.deb package like you did last time.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby catgate » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks very much Rhakios.
Where would I be without you????

I thought I would never get old and forgetful, but that is what I am doing.
My father died when he was 86 and he still had an excellent memory.
I am now 80 and I am beginning to forget things. Life's a bit of a trial sometimes.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Next

Return to Help!