Looking for Python book/tutorial

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Looking for Python book/tutorial

Postby stuarte9 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:33 am

Hi,

I am currently reading through "Python for Dummies" as my ice-breaker book for Python. Soon I'll want a follow up book or tutorial.

I have a copy of "Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" and found that to be a great intro to C++. A web/forum search for the Python version of this book seems to show that it doesn't exist.

Could someone please suggest a Python book or tutorial that will provide the same facilities as the above noted C++ book ?

The book/tutorial needs to have :-
a) example programs within a chapter;
b) exercise questions at the end of a chapter (requiring the developing of a small program to answer the question);
c) answers to those questions in the appendix.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given with this matter.

Best regards,

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby Ram » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:43 pm

There's 'Drive into Python' which has been on the last few cover-disks

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby stuarte9 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:41 am

Good morning arochester & Ram,

Thank you for such fast replies.

@arochester:

Thanks very much for taking the time to supply those links. I've clicked on the first two of those links. Yes, a new tab opens displaying the relevant Full Circle web page. Sadly, when I click on the main picture, nothing happens. Yes, the small throbber appears on the browser tab, for about half a second. then nothing. The throbber is then replaced by the broken outline of a small square. I don't know if that means anything particular. I tried right clicking on the picture but wasn't sure what to select from the pop up menu. Am I doing something wrong or is the web page somehow "broken" ?

@Ram:

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I've just had a look at that on disc. Whilst it does have example programs within a chapter, sadly it doesn't have end-of-chapter exercise questions and so no answers to those questions in the appendix. It may be a good book but it doesn't quite suit my learning-by-doing frame of mind.

Once again, thank you both for taking the time to respond. It is very much appreciated.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby Ram » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:50 pm

@Stuart

To the right of the picture, click the link 'english' then you'll be able to get the FCM downloads

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby stuarte9 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Good afternoon arochester,

Thanks for another very swift reply. I tried clicking on the "english" link in the first two FCM pages but again nothing happened. I just tried right clicking this link and, from the pop up menu, I chose "Save Link As..." and what do you know?! A dialog box appeared offering the opportunity to save a pdf file.

I've now saved the first one and will give it a good going over later. Now that I know how to get the files I'll get the others later when time allows.

Thanks again for your help.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby towy71 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:23 pm

have you looked at http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

I of course couldn't program my way out of a paper bag :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Return to Help!